MELODYNE 5 VS AUTO-TUNE PRO : the 2020-Covid19-era debate

Discussion in 'Software' started by kindleman, May 26, 2020.

1. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

TOO funny, Pure gold! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. kindleman

kindleman Member

When i say “android quality” i dont refer to to the t-pain / cher effect - for as subtle at it can be - but Even when its not correcting the pitch it Makes the vocals sound A bit like Vocaloid. Can you all hear this? I remember the first time i hear it so apparent was in the christmas album by michael buble have a listen and you ll know what i mean

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'm with you in this, my frustration is more with the random issues I periodically run into with a wayward vst3. There have been times I ran in circles troubleshooting an issue only to realize I have to use the vst2 version. My point was more that I'm surprised at the pace of progress but this is all a non issue for me I can assure.

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

For sure it does. But autotune has real-time capabilities and can also import audio to map and edit in the plug-in internally like Melodyne (non real-time). I haven't actually messed with that much yet though because I dig robots

5. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

It does leave like an artificial metallic artifact sound to the vocal, even when used moderately.

I use both but I'll grab the Melodyne way more often than Auto-tune.
    Editing everything with Melodyne and maybe putting Auto-tune after if the song or the artist asks for it as an effect, but other than that, I'll maybe use it after Melodyne with retune speed at like 80-90, maybe backing it off even more.
    It tightens the vocal ever so slightly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Autotune sounds more COVID-ish than Melodyne.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

...for "COVID users(performers)" who have issues with respiratorry system, the new Melodyne take the lead with that breath reduction thing.:hahaha:

8. Cube Sixty-Three

Cube Sixty-Three Kapellmeister

Wait, so are you implying I'll test positive for covid after using Antares? :bash:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I commonly use Melodyne into Auto-Tune, and then perfect it with Waves Tune, just to make sure my voice is in tune with the drums, trash bins, gears, and the pneumatic drill lead. Otherwise I'd be so out of tune. I couldn't sing John Cage's 4'33'' in tune.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Regardless of the sound or what they are able to do... Melodynes GUI is absolute G A R B A G E... or as i like to say... ' A big poopy bear'

So for me, Autotune wins hands down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

I can't listen to any song that has even 1% of any of these vocal correcting plugins. just bloody awful sounding. hate them. basically, if you can't sing, don't sing.

12. recycle

recycle Guest

Autotune magic trick: when looking for extreme autotune intervention, I suggest the singer to sing on a mono note: this method makes any non-expert artist (trappers) more comfortable

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

When I think of Autotune I think of it as an obvious effect. When I think of Melodyne I think of it 1st as a transparent correction tool, but it also works amazing when using it for lowered formant vocal chop effects.... I feel AT does the obvious better & Melodyne does the transparent and formant better.

14. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

So you’re throwing out nearly 40 years of Pop, R&B, Rock and Metal out the door?

15. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

You don't record many people apparently. I have to take what I get and make it sound good. That's my job.

16. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Tascam TA-1VP is great! Melodyne and Antares' AutoTune plugin, too!
    Why do you always have to rank everything?

17. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I rank your post in the upper 1/3 of posts in this thread but not quite at the top.

18. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Forget about the pitch correction , the new de esser thing is honestly enough to choose melodyne

19. kindleman

kindleman Member

yes it has some great new features!!! but still the sound is artificial... i believe it changes with the tone of the voice ... for some it results more apparent and annoying then others... dont know what it is exactly . probably the style of singing too...
    after watching the last video tutorial on melodyne 5 and learning all the functions it is an amazing tool .
    somehow i like auto-tune better ... maybe the gui looks nicer :) but it seems trickier to operate ( im of course talking about the graph mode ... no reason to compare the auto mode )
    lets see what antares comes up with in the next upgrade ...
    i know that the top producer would correct all the pitching in melodyne and then still use autotune in automode afterwards to "keep it even more together" ..
    im curious to do some null tests importing the audio without altering the pitch on melodyne , flipping the phase and see how much differences come out. im sure theres quite a bit .

20. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

In my experience, Autotune = realtime.

Melodyne is for subtle correction by cents up to a half or whole step; subtle 'legato' corrections and timing corrections. Great for getting multiple overdubs nice n' tight by hand in a one-stop-shop. (...no pun intended.)