Melodo - Amazing Midi Plug-In!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Quakeaudio, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Melodo is a platform for instantly browsing short musical phrases contributed by composers from around the world.

Each musical phrase can be used to create new and exciting music by applying the musical creativity of other composers.

Melodo is available as a VST / Audio Unit plug-in.

http://comelody.com/melodo/

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Interesting concept and idea, but what about the 'copyrights' of each shared short musical phrases.

These can be see as melodies by themselves even if they're 'short musical phrases'. And melodies are, in most countries (those that allow to be holders of copyrights), the only elements that can be protected by 'copyrights'... Drum/Percussion Beats & Grooves can't be, Harmonies (Chords Progressions,... ) can't be too. Even Arrangements can't be in most of the cases, so... :dunno:

Are all these composers, therefore contributors, agree to share their 'short musical phrases', and that these conceded melodies can then be 'copyrighted' by others users afterward, if they plan to protect their own musical works ?

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

"There are 2 possible licensing types which are part of the Creative Commons copyright licenses:
    The default one is 'CC0', which basically allows free use of the shared music phrase. The second one, 'Attribution 3', requires attributing the work to the creators of the music piece. The licensing type of each music phrase is shown at the bottom right of Melodo with the heading 'License'. For more information on these licenses, a summary of the full Legal Code with the full license is accessible at the bottom of the page, please click on the license name." Some of the musical phrases are so simple that I don't foresee it being a problem. Those sequences wouldn't be utilized as the main melody of the piece and would probably be covered under the CC0 license. I assume that those that are higher in complexity level would be licensed under the Attribution 3 license. Apropos you would have to credit the original creator. Either way it could be a great learning tool for those that are looking to beef up their skills at writing motifs and phrases.

5. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

It's a good question, i've noticed that some people added "phrases" from sample packs and others just reproduced existing sounds as if they were the original creator.
    The idea is great but it needs more curation

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

great idea - will take a look at it.

7. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Chord Progressions are not copyrighted!
    Think about Blues or Rock N Roll.
    Everytime the same Chord Progressions.

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Chord progressions aren't copyrighted but melodies are. Phrases are melodic lines.

9. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

@ Studio 555

As always your analysis is accurate and perfect. I agree with you. :wink:

@ For the others

Absolutely do NOT use my melodies or notes a, b or c and even triplets. It's all mine. Be warned... I'll call the lawyers!!!!!!! :rofl: LOL :bleh: :rofl:

10. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ ElMoreno,

:rofl:

The following comes from a very serious and reliable French source :

Music notes are coming (originate) from a spiritual song, more precisely the hymn to "Saint Jean-Baptiste". It's Guido d'Arezzo who has first named them using the initials of the 7 phrases of the hymn :

«Ut queant laxi, Resonare fibris, Mira gestorum, Famuli tuorum, Solve polluti, Labii reatum, Sancte Johannes»

qui se traduit par : «Afin que tes serviteurs puissent chanter à gorge déployée tes accomplissements merveilleux, ôte le péché de leurs lèvres souillées, Saint Jean».

Si was added later, and Ut was replaced by Do in the 17th century to facilitate the joint (articulation).

Where the English equivalents are :

'UT' (old term) now replaced by 'DO' --> C
    'RE' --> D
    'MI' --> E
    'FA' --> F
    'SOL' --> G
    'LA' --> A
    'SI' --> B

So what about 'Guido d'Arezzo' calling his lawyers 'beyond the grave' nowadays... and attempting you a Big Trial for defamation and others perjuries !!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In some sense, today we are for the most part of us, the debtors of his creation *yes* ...using it day by day, either in our compositions, or when playing our respective instruments,...

Is that means that you still authorize us to use the 'flat' and 'sharp' notes of the scales ?

Ex: Ab or A#, Bb and C#, or all the other ones... :rofl: :thumbsup: