Melodic Sub Bass in 90s Atmospheric DnB

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ltjbukum, Jun 6, 2022.

1. ltjbukum

ltjbukum Member

I'd appreciate some help in making a couple of sub bass patches in any of the NI synth products (or anything else).

I've read about it for ages and understand the bass is actually made from a drum to give it the sharp attack at the beginning of the note. Then tone to make the bass the melody instrument. Problem is, I don't know how to do it.

Examples of what I am talking about::

Seba - Camouflage (3 minutes in)

Seba - Planetary Funk Alert (start around 3.45 mins in)

Seba
    Sonic Winds (around 2.30 in)

No, I do not want to be a Seba clone, but it wouldn't be so bad if I was. So, if there is a Massive, Massive X, FM8, Reaktor, Absynth, or whatever preset that you could direct me to, that would be great. It's thI use Ableton 11 Suite as well. If there's nothing out there and someone could send me a couple of patches/presets, I would be most appreciative and cover you time. Or direct me to a sample pack with some good patches - I've tried quite a few but none of them are quite right. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Rob Papen SubBoomBass2, FAW Sublab. It's very frequently just a pitched 808 kick. Goldbaby samples are very good for these. Sublab is currently on sale for 60$ actually. https://futureaudioworkshop.com

Either of them make this almost like reinventing the wheel. they are so fast and you get exactly what you want every time.; plus you can automate any parameters more than in a sampler. An enveloper plugin can be helpful. And a Limiter on your master.

4. argo3k

argo3k Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Those methods are all old and slow. SubLab all day long. There are tons of tracks with 808 subs. The s950 samples are even processed. I'm comparing to the original output of the 950 and that has about 12db gain on it.

2022. don't waste your time.

6. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

This guy use original 808 for his sub bass you can see this at 3:51

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Peshay, A Guy Called Gerald, Nookie, who else did not own (or use) an 808? You could still buy one for well under half the price of any sampler at that time.

8. argo3k

argo3k Ultrasonic

This is a different type of sound. 808 gives "attack" but the body itself is different. In the above examples, it is most likely AKAI sine.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

As opposed to the single cycle waveform generated by an emu? They will be different?...

Not enough to care. Either of the two programs I mentioned are the most efficient way to do these now. Sonic Academy Kick2 might even be good, since it works fine for many people to do both 808 and 909 kicks.

Many of those drumnbass records from the later 90's probably share one thing in common than any I can think of. Logic. :)

And still this guy today:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Ok

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

I guess I don't understand the initial request enough then. To me, a sine wave is still a sine wave. You start with a pure one, and after that we are just discussing various flavors of dirty. But the OP wants to not copy something exactly, but wants to copy something exactly down to the preset, and other samples being wrong.

If you put one of those plugins in a track, make sure you have a limiter. No serum?

12. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I cant speak for the exact sampler Seba used for the sub bass in most of his early tracks but I know he used a Siel Opera 6 for a large portion of the pads leads and bass.

Regardless, that sub bass is something you can easily replicate with just about any synth using a sine wave with varying results.

If you have Serum, you can load "Analog_BD_sin" in Oscillator A, set the voicing to mono and adjust the ADSR to taste.

You can use also Syntronic BD808 which is my personal favorite for making that style of 808 sub bass. Its free to download here:

https://synsonic-instruments.com/synsonic-bd-808/

Just make sure you set Midi Sync on the plugin and adjust the decay and tone to taste. Here's my lazy version of the sub on Camouflage using only Syntronic BD808:

https://www.aymat.org/ftp/temp/misc/808sub/808sub.mp3

Another option if you want a more authentic approximation of the sound is to sample one hit from either of those plugins and load it directly into your favorite sampler.

You can also check out this Stranjah tutorial where he shows you how to do it in Ableton (starts at 2:34) and gives you a great overview of how it was done back in the day. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. ltjbukum

ltjbukum Member

I cannot thank all of you enough. This was incredibly helpful - every one of your posts. This community is so great. Many thanks again for taking the time to reply (and even to post samples!). Truly appreciated.