Mellow Prog

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by lexeed, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Teamed up with a buddy of mine from the UK and gave a mellow prog tune a try. How's the mix?
    Drums were a single stereo stem, so I didn't have much control over it.

https://app.box.com/s/xyn080oqyp3tdlbi01ryaevh1hhnnyae

ETA: Forgot to give credit--
    Graham E. wrote and performed the music
    David M. Played drums
    Me: vocals, lyrics, and mix.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

This is really cool. The bass instrument is a bit too loud, and you could have more spatiality among the elements (panning, reverb), and then it would be worthy of its "4:20" timing. A tad of everb/echo on the drums might help. When the vocal parts come in, they're a little too loud, though the performances are great. Overall, this is beautiful. Just more spatiality in the mix. It''s frickin' a beautiful song.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Pretty cool. It's a bit detuned but not so much "mangled". What kind of guitar(s) did you use for this? Fender Telecaster?
    I personally don't think there's enough bass to it. Maybe it's just my headphones/sound card. Not sure. Either way, it's pretty chilled. Makes me think of a warm but rainy summer day in July - sitting at the bus stop waiting for my ride to pick me up & bring me to work. 8:03AM on gloomy summer day at the beach in a costal city. The sun is asleep but the city is wide awake as usual, the dune grass on the beach a few hundred yards from me is swaying in the slow warm early summer breeze as I sit, make friends with my umbrella & reflect on life before my ride comes. I see that while it's not the finest weather out, I've seen much worse days so I just let the rain melt away all my worries & grievances. This is where your song takes me, personally. I like it. Good job! :mates:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Hmm...sort of like Impressive, I was thinking the bass may not have been loud enough, but then I've heard the song about a thousand times during the mix, so my perspective is gone until I take a break from it. I'll jot that in my Reaper notes to take another look, though. I've got plenty of panning going on, so I'm not sure how much more I can do. Maybe the verb/echo on the drums just might do the trick. Thanks man!

6. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Good grief guy, do you write? You imagery is outstanding, impressive even ;)
    I think you picked right up on the mood we were trying to set.

Oh, I'm not sure what Graham used, but I can ask him if you'd like.

7. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

The intro has got me thinking of early Genesis......Think I might have a quick blast of Foxtrot :guru:

8. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

The geezer...lol!

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thats some psychedelic shit alright,its good.
    As a producer i would cut the first 2:10 and start with the vocals,the first half is rather poorly executed and makes the listener uninterested in what will happen.
    The 2nd half is good or you rework on your first half till you have strong 4 minutes.
    Its not really about me disliking the first part,its just that its poorly executed.
    Put a little convolution reverb on the drums,they are rather dry.
    The kick drum is a bit too loud and is taking away the focus from the rest of the instruments.
    The kick has to be balanced in relation to the snare drum and the hi hat.
    For example if the hi hat is too loud the drum kit may appear too small.
    Hit hat and cymbals needs some highs taken out,LP filter will do.
    Putting some reverb on the hi hat makes the drums more alive.
    When i talk about reverb i dont mean that you should drown the kit in it.
    Little bit here and there is what we talk about.
    Other than that its a good mix.
    Perhaps try putting some Satin on the drumbus to get them sound warmer,fatter,softer...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Great suggestions VS, but as I stated in the OP, the drums were a single stereo file. I had to take them as they were and do my best to mix the kit as a unit. Not much I can do except try the verb suggestion. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "poorly executed." I think Graham played quite well. But that might be cleared up if I knew specifically what you meant.

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Yeah I get more of a Floydian feel from it... sort of in a Saucer Full of Secrets vein... bass to the fore.. Igor., I mean Roger ,
    wouldn't have it any other way... :bleh: except you need to make it like.. umm 7 mins long..or maybe 17 give or take

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks Herr! Yeah, I did have Gilmour and Wetton in mind when I came up with the melody. Looks like Gilmour won. I wasn't around when the real deals were at the fore, but I became a fan once a friend exposed me to all that old prog stuff. Something just "clicked." Crimson and Yes were my first initiations, from there, I was sold. I write more hard rock or experimental sort of stuff, but once I met Graham (who wrote the music for this), he gave me an outlet to actually give this style a vocal try. The next generation trying to imitate the old generation.

13. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Agree broadly with what stevitch said. I hate teh drums, tho. That's mainly because I hate toms a lil bit, and there seems 2b endless tom fills constantly distracting - I don't wanna say Miami Vice >__> I would choose a different kit, rly. Song's fine, tho! Enjoyed the vocals, lil bit of sibilant stuff. Ever think of turning those trills into flute & going different, acoustic direction? Maybe even just for reworked (ambientish) intro, which is weakest part? U know, opinions, tho.

14. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks famous. I suppose I could mention that to David (the drummer). I had to use what was there. I'm just the singer/mixer on this particular song.

15. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

There's always Melodyne et al? :D just say u rly went 2 town with comp / eq / reverb >__>

Nice voice, btw!

16. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Wow 2:10 on Ending really nice. Sorry I just do not like the beginning of the song.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  17. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks MM.