MDR7506 or ATH M50x ?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Futurewine, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Dear yall,

I'm having a hard time to choose between the two. I've done some research over the web here and there. My interest on MDR7506 is bias to MDR-V6 which is 80s and I thought that might add closest to 80s experience in hunting for such soundmix. ATH-50x mostly bias to its popular choice and talks among the pros.

How is your experience mixing on these two headphones? I'm currently using HPS3000, will the overall sound be differ and better for mixing with headphone, if I change to either to these two?

- fw.

3. lasm2000

lasm2000 Member

What I'll recommend is getting either sonarworks reference or tone boosters morphit on sister site. Reason is that none of those is "neutral" and will greatly profit from some digital correction. The ATH m50x is a very "fun" headphone with boosted bass and the mdr7506 has perfect mids, but little bass and obscene treeble (this is perfect for live use, not so much for mixing).

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've been using the ATH-M50X and older M50 for close,to 15 years now. They are fine for tracking and once you get to know them you can in a pinch mix with them. My great gripe with these is that eventually the vinyl faux lather covering the head rest begins flaking away. My right ear was hurting yesterday (it's been happening for close to 25 years now on and off, no doctor can figure out why and I just live with it when it flairs up) and so grabbed the 50X to listen to the new and wonderful Flamming Lips album while walking the pooch so as not to be in aweful pain while using my Westone W30 buds. When I came home there were black flecks all over my neck and in my hair. Although I am like at one with these cans, the next I buy won't be these.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. ReaWine

ReaWine Newbie

Hey thanks! I was about a click away to own ATH-M40x after going through its review in-comparison to ATH-M50x. I thought to give a last check here before clicking on "check out". Sonarworks reference just put me on second thought, found that it has supports for HPS3000 too. :like: +101%

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tips :like: :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about your right ear tho.. greg well soon :shalom:+1

6. Ziko

Ziko Newbie

M50X. Using since 2 years, chose it after demoing Sony.

Btw none of speaker/headphone in this world is absolutely neutral. You have to learn the headphones sound.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

M50x are the equivalent of KRK rokit5... :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. N8O

N8O Newbie

I actually joined the site to recommend you avoid the Audio Technica headphones. You will struggle getting your mixes to sound good on other systems / monitors...both studio and commercial grade. If you can afford it, I recommend the Sennheiser HD600, look on reverb and you can find a new set for around 275 - 300 (US $). I've owned the ATH-50x as well as their predecessor ATH-M40fs...never again.

• List
  9. Pule

Pule Producer

AKG K371

• List
  10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

ATH M50x is one of the most commercially famous headphones in consumers/non pro market. It is a plus point to be able to produce or mix on these.
    You will be fine with any of these, just listen more and more music on these before performing any mix and always use reference tracks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List