Max For Live - Devices not recalling settings

Discussion in 'Live' started by BuckyBucky, Apr 27, 2023.

1. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

Hi all :)

I'm hoping for some input on M4L.

A number of devices I use ‘forget’ their settings when I reopen the project I am working on. For example, the pitch steps in a sequencer will all play the same tone despite having different values. These devices have been downloaded from the maxforlive.com library.

I am able to circumvent this by opening the device pop-out in Ableton (which launches M4L), then closing M4L. The device then functions as per normal, playing the different pitches. The pitches are then reset when I re-open a project.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? I have this issue with multiple devices.

Secondly, when doing this, it takes a little under 60 seconds the first time I launch M4L. For obvious reasons this is frustrating. Any ideas how to improve this scenario?

For context, I’m using the following:
    • Ableton Live 11.2.10
    • M4L 8.3.3 (installed with the Ableton Live Suite)
    • Windows 11, Intel 13th gen CPU, 32GB DDR5 RAM
    Any input would be valued :wink:
    Bucky.

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

The only thing I can tell you is Ableton release updates all the time, and if you ever look at their release notes from one update to the next, bugs are ALWAYS being found and resolved in future updates.
    That said, by curing one bug they then seem to create another.. maybe you could revert to an earlier version that had bugs which were less crucial to you?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

Should work with the recent version

5. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

Thanks for the input. I'll attempt to dig through some release notes & see is anything is mentioned :wink:

6. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

I'll grab the latest update (11.2.11 suite) and see if that resolves anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

you can replace Max in ableton by the last one 8.5.4.

8. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

Thanks for the suggestion bobdule.
    I have updated Live to 11.2.11 (Suite) and installed M4L 8.5.4 (via your patcher btw :beg:). I've linked to this new M4L install in my Ableton preferences.

Unfortunately the same issue occurs, plus M4L still takes 60 seconds or so to launch from within Live. Any further ideas or suggestions you have would be most welcome.

9. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

it need a serious clean before install.

you can delete the ableton folder in resource/max
    also user app data/roaming Cycling
    first.

then install 8.5.4, patch and link to ableton in prefs. here it take 20s to launch in ableton with a firewall popup after the first opening.
    residual older version data seems to make it slow.
    after this step, the standalone and embeded take 10s.

only keep your edited presets . backup it before a serious clean.

the idea is to have only one version files on the computer, it will open faster.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  10. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

Thanks again bobdule.

I've deleted the contents of the directories noted above, plus uninstalled my previous install of M4L 8.5.4 using Bulk Crap Uninstaller.

I then reinstalled & patched. I just timed the initial M4L startup (launched from the 'edit device' button from a device within Ableton), that took 2m 02s. Then I close the M4L window, then it is virtually immediate each time after that initial load (until I close Live).

I'm confused :) :dunno: Not sure what else to try at this stage.