Mastering

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Goodie, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Goodie

Goodie Member

What do you guys consider the best Loudness maximizing software?

3. l92

l92 Noisemaker

Fabfilter L-2 or Ozone Maximizer

4. brijem

brijem Member

Most versatile & most used for me is FabFilter Pro-L, for a harder edge Tokyo Dawn Limiter 6 (love this on rock), most punch or for rhythmic tracks TB LaxLimit3 and for softer tracks / transparency, either Pro-L in transparent mode or Flux's Pure limiter . . . a touch of PSP's Twin-L before a brickwall limiter works nicely lots of the time.

5. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

ik stealth

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

99% of people never use a plugin to its fullest, meaning if you can find one that you can manipulate to the best of your expertise then use that, because I guarantee that will give you better results than the most expensive out there.

Therefore my answer is simply, the best one is the one you can get on with best.

I used Sonnox Oxford Limiter on this:- (I'm happy with the results)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. Dalty

Dalty Member

I've gotten my best results from using many limiters in serial. A trick I picked up from Mike Dean. I'll usually start with FG-X because it retains transients better than any other limiter, although it overloads fairly quickly (something I hope they fix in the long-promised FG-X 2, but that shit is turning into more of a myth than Detox). Then I'll let Pro L2 do most of the leg work with a super-long lookahead and 4x oversampling. Then to squeeze as much volume as possible, I'll use A.O.M. Invisible Limiter V2 and L1+ to limit a few dB. Somehow after all these years L1 can still take a ridiculously loud signal (-10 to -8 LUFS) and give it 1 or 2 more dB without distorting. Some of that old Waves stuff is so weirdly coded it's like black magic, man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

L1 is still a great piece of virtual gear, as is L3. I'm also a fan of the Maserati GRP plugin. It gives a very nice transparent embiggening that doesn't pump and squash with a smooth eq.

9. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

10. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

My go-to's are Voxengo's Elephant or DMG Audio's Limitless. :wink:
    I do continue experimenting with others when I have a slightly different track and have the time; it never hurts to play the field (as long as you're not just fully procrastinating on a mix/master. :rofl:)
    Some of the thers that I've really liked and deserve honorable mentions are, McDSP's Retro/ML4000/ML8000 Limiters, PSP's Twin-L, and HOFA's IQ-Limiter. :yes:

11. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

fabfilter pro L2, t-racks stealth limiter, sonnox inflator
    pspvintagewarmer should also be decent, same with aom invisible limiter but i havent tested both for mastering