Mastering Trick? (see attachment)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by insaner, Sep 22, 2016.

1. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

I hope someone knows how to do this, see the attachment for what i mean.
    Lately i see many mastered tracks in my genre with a waveform just like i showed in the attachment.
    With almost no space beneath and way more headroom above....asymmetrical right...
    Hope one can clarify what are the advantages and how to archive this.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Its just not normalized/looks like there is DC offset which is causing the asymmetry. That can usually be corrected and imo it shouldnt actually be like that in the finished product. BTW i like paradox and samurai's sound, particularly paradox/seba/homemade weapons!

4. VinylScra

VinylScra Member

my guess is your DAW reserves that space at the top to display the track name and other information which would interfere with the waveform view if it would scale to the top. but i could be wrong and there is indeed some voodoo magic sound going on when you push that diaphragm more then you suck it or the other way round.

anyway, i would get rid of that daw because it eats up your dynamic range by compressing that volume because it wants to display its fancy track name with no interference :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

If you look at the gap between the upper peaks and the name of the audio clip listed at the upper left.. it's the same as the gap remaining at the bottom. It's also easy to analyze the phase to confirm the whole song isn't shifted to the right. But in this case your ears should easily tell you if it sounds weighted on the right. What DAW is that?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Yeah you guys could be right regarding the space for the name, i hope i can find some other examples in the future.
    Because this wasn't the first audiofile that looked like this and i assume that not all the other examples where shown in Logic.
    So this DAW its Logic ;)
    If it is for the space, i must look better next time or i do need some glasses. :P....or a new brain (yeah again a new one...^^)

Thanks for now! :)

7. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Guys working with Logic for longtime and can confirm, that is just a space for the name also wav "look" is completely normal for a electronic mastered track.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Now that you know that it is just space allocated for text, if you really did have a waveform that was lop-sided (kinnnda looking like that-not quite though), you would use a DC-OFFSET plugin to try and correct it to the best extent possible. But, correcting individual tracks for errors - such as DC-OFFSET - through the tracking, sampling, mixing process, at the 'individual track level', will save you from a nasty lookin'/soundin' master file.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

@bluerover

Regarding the DC offset fixing, would you advice to do this after / between every processing?
    Or can i just leave it and do this in my master with the dc offset '''fix'' in Izotope Ozone?

10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I thought DC Offset was when the WHOLE wave was shifted up or down, not only one side. I have a lot of basses and kick sounds which are asymettrical, but they have nothing to do with DC offset. No?

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

You're right. This is good example pic (offset from zero crossing) :

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html

I would check each individual track after tracking. Just my opinion.