Mastering in Logic

Discussion in 'Education' started by kjfarrell, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

To add to my Ableton video, here is how you do it in Logic.

3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

- I would have explained the difference between linear and non linear phase EQs, brushing over it is bad imo considering people might not even know the difference.
    - I would have also suggested listening to the source material first, as apposed to just applying cuts at the start.
    - You also didnt suggest your initial gain stage pre mastering or the genre you are trying to mix for.
    - Your explanation for not having side lows is weird to me. The reason you would cut lows is actually to prevent phase cancellation and to give a more consistent sound on big systems because of the speaker positions in big clubs and other mediums such as phone speakers which are predominantly mono.
    - You might want to explain the difference between your choice specifically for VCA comp as opposed to other types.
    - I think you took too long to explain why you ended up using a multiband comp, you prolly wasted like 5 minutes explaining the difference of a singular comp as opposed to multiband. The multiband comp crossover also isnt linear is it? As far as i know so you might want to mention that too.
    - What was your target RMS or LUFS.
    - What about monoing, mid/side isolation to listen for problems.

- Overall jist of vid is good, some specifics missed.

4. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

I agree with all your points, I just wanted to simplify things to cater for people with little audio experience.