Master Return parallel compression Channel

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Trevor Gordon, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

So I decided to experiment to find a more gentle, but broadening method of beefing up my mix and I found adding a return channel with heavy compression effects and a roll off of treble really helps. I learned this from mixing and mastering a friends track who had done something similar with his track. It's a really good way to fill the spaces and beef up a mix. I've never been a fan of the traditional parallel compression, but I find this method a little more sophisticated to my tastes. Anyways, for those uninformed of this method, thought I'd lend some knowledge.

Cheers
    T

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Another/One method tht i found just last night (for the same intent) is to use http://rekkerd.org/dtblkfx/ 's contrast mode with negative %. It's aimed at buliding body by decreasing the FFT peaks.

ED: & you can choose the frequencies for processing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

@T: that sounds like normal 'parallel compression' (with a low pass filter), although not really meant to be used on the master, but what the heck. Because you call it Side chaining.. or did you actually use the key (or side) input of the compressor, cause that's what real side-chaining is about.

5. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

Sorry, I completely got the terms wrong here....I was thinking of parallel compression! Was up too late last night!:like::winker: