Master Keyboard - Key sensibility in mind

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Rolma, May 3, 2018.

1. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Hi Guys,

I m thinking of getting a new piece of gear. I have been using M-Audio Oxygen 49 for about 4 years now, but I’m in a stage in which I would like to spend more time playing, getting ideas from actual rehearsing, instead of focusing solely on the midi editor… So I need a bit of advice about what is there, and so hear about what you have or do.

Personally, I’m after to increase my sensations and interactions with the keyboard. I have in mind controllers as Akai advance, Akai MPK 2, Komplete etc, although I’m completely open to learn about other options.

On the other hand, I can perfectly live without niceties as sound library management, huge sound packages or extensive fine tuned parameterization dialogs with VSTs, if that makes a big difference in the final price, but I certainly want to move on from the limitations of M –Audio Oxygen.

3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Depends on where you are... you can comb the advert sites for an older Studio Logic with a Fatar keybed, they are for the most part very well built and easy to repair. I mean moving away from that older M-A Oxygen anything will probably be an upgrade. You kind of have to set the ballpark and have more defined parameters than what is better than what I've got....

4. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

You want synth or hammer-action?

Knobs/sliders or no?

Midi out or USB out or both?

Integrated sounds / workstation this time?

Get 88-keys.

5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

The limiting factor in the end will be how much you want to spend and can you fit an 88 key or do you need a smaller keyboard?

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The feeling of all those keybeds from different manufacturers is a very personal thing, I've seen people love keyboards that are loud, clicky and feel cheap for my taste.
    Some standouts I know are the Fatars found in Kurzweil keyboards, the Roland XP50/80 and modern hammer action pianos, some Kawai pianos (like the ES-110B for $600).
    The Roland "Go Piano" is said to be quite good for its $300 (and it even has batteries, Bluetooth Midi, internal sounds and a linear sequence recorder if you really wanna capture that idea fast). It looks like something between a traditional synth and hammer action keybed, and it leaves enough free room on your desk for controllers that are better than the built-in knobs and faders.
    Novation also has some good ones, but it's also the manufacturer of which I've played one of the worst keybeds as well, so you better take the chance to try different ones live.
    I would also recommend to have a look at the latest Native Instruments Kontrol series. Depending on what soft synths you use and how much tweaking or preset hopping you do, the integration with software can help working a bit more efficiently, although that usually requires some preparation too.
    Try some Arturia keyboards as well. They usually have good build quality and proper software to configure it.

7. m9cao

m9cao Producer

talk to you what i know.
    if you playing synths, buy a mini keyboard which have midi out and without weighted and without hammer actions.
    buy weighted keyboard for playing sampler instruments, those patch need some key pressing feel, and after touch, pedals for controlling automations of strings/flute or something others patches.
    buy hammer actions keyboard/digital piano/ for keyboard performings, but low end/low price of those keyboard doesn't have pedals/after touch so do not buy.

8. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Hammer action...but semi weighted can do, midi and USB could be good.

I thought of Arturia Keylab 88....

Any experience about?

The room space is limited....but well I can compromise...I spend a lot of time with it, and it's been consistent...so I think of music as a well rooted personal tendency, worth the spending.

By the way any ideas about stands, tables or workbenches?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  9. saltwater

saltwater Guest

worth a shot

Roland A88
    a-88_angle_gal.jpg
    Studiologic SL88
    750-SL88Grand_detail2.jpg

10. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

You should def try to hit a Music Store with options to "try out" the Feel"....then buy online for best prices
    Everyone and every piece of gear is a personal choice n only U know wat "feels" right....then look for options
    Even 61note or 73note givs U a big jump over jus 49keys for actually live or rehearsal playing

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I just got a used MPK249... the action is quite nice... I also had a Roland A-800 Pro for a couple years..

61 keys is nice to have..and it comes pre-mapped to Sonar, and has some mappings for some other software as well
    Mapping in Reaper is easy enough but you have to do it manually..

I suspect the MPK has at least the same level of mapability , but haven't tried with Reaper yet....

but the as old equation goes, higher quality, higher price

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

I think one of best price-performance(key feel/quality) right now is studiologic sl88 studio and now their newly released 73 key version(sold out right now) if you don't need 88 keys. Triple sensor, aftertouch, fatar keybed and this!- one of main reason why you should buy sl88 studio(sl73) over any hammer action controller in that price range(looking at you m-audio and most other manufacturers with loud keybeds):

Very well dampened self key noise compared to what is in market at that price range. It add so much more impression of quality build. For 400€ it is easy choice.

13. Rolma

Rolma Guest

:mates::mates::mates:

What I like of this forum is the kind of not biased or manipulative piece of advice one can get, since many members have been here for long, and the general mood seems to be the exchange of opinions and experiences. I mention this, because sometimes when online, it is hard to figure out the intent of what one reads or finds and why one gets what gets to see.

Looking at all these options, thanks for comments!
    Certainly a weekend for considerations!