Massive VST

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by rah, Feb 17, 2020.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

KSP is a powerful language, but it does not do audio processing. So... no.

2. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Yes.

Affecting audio and Generating audio are two very different things.

3. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

What no?
    Kontakt does wavetables better than Massive (since version 6), people have also done with included options in various libraries: wavesequencing, morphing, physical modelling (with convolution), granular.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

So why does nobody in real life uses Kontakt for Synthesis then?
    Maybe because it's made for playing back samples primarily?
    Maybe because if you open the default interface it has no visible Oscillators?
    Maybe because it looks like a time travel to the early 90s?
    Maybe because it's just not useble as a synth?

No sane person opens up Kontakt to program a lead synth which is not based on a Kontakt Library.

I hate when people say x,y,z product is better when in actuality it is not because it is not meant to do that and totally inconvinient to work with. Maybe Wavetables sound better in Kontakt 6, but is it a better synth than massive? No. If it was where are the synth patches for Kontakt?

5. tun

tun Rock Star

you can make synths using kontakt, i have done it. but i agree it is not the best workflow. i did it for the fun of doing it, but i never used it when making music.
    kontakt generates audio in the same way any wavetable synth does. wavetable synths are just playing back audio too. there are some things you can do in kontakt that you can not do in a wavetable synth and vice versa too.
    still not very convenient for making music though, but once the synth is made its as easy as using any other synth, you just load the patch and its ready to go.

6. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Make your own... or u too lazy? :bleh:
    fkin kids only want to preset whore.
    Maybe Nexus is ideal for you?

7. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

No as in you don't get to process audio in KSP, which is what people were claiming upthread.

On the first point, I have to disagree, Kontakt only has wavewarping modes, whereas even the first Massive has spectral and formant modes. Also, the included tables are well tuned to the operation of the synth, Kontakt does load wavetables which neither of the Massives do, which is of course a bonus.

If something like Massive(X) could've been done in Kontakt they could've just sold it as a library, right?

Listen, no one is arguing that Kontakt isn't ridiculously powerful, because it is.

A side note, I wish they'd upgrade the scripting language to something slightly more sane... I don't know the internals, so no comment on the feasibility, but something like Lua would be awesome.

8. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Massive X is a semi-modular synth.
    Not a linear signal flow sample player/synth hybrid like Kontakt 6.
    IF Kontakt was coming with bazillion synth. presets like Omnisphere, it would have been considered as a synth by preset crowd, I guess.

9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Agreed here, the first bit was kind of my point, but perhaps it got lost in translation.

"Preset crowd", like it, I'm gonna steal that :)

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You didn't get the point you lost soul you. At leat tun got it. Got to see that sane peopke still exist.