Marriage and Musicians – Should We Even Try?

Discussion in 'Education' started by THENATAN, Oct 21, 2017.

?

“Should musicians really even TRY to marry or maintain a relationship?”

1. Yes

58.3%
  2. No

41.7%
  1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Art is overrated...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

OMG I'm laughing until the collapse hahah...

The best part is my syster's married to a musician :rofl:
    I've heard several times that classic "don't marry a musician" While at the other extreme of the house my bro-in-law is playing the bass.
    But she has said it very few times considering 10+ years of relationship.. :wink:

Luckily for her they don't have enough money to buy drums, his second instrument.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

After a lot of failed-in-the-end relationships i never expected to find a soulmate and get married. At age 44 i wasn't looking for a relation either. But life works in mysterious ways so around then i found my wife, we got engaged in less than a year and married a year after. Now 7 years later i feel like not a day has passed, and i truly say i love my wife even more as time goes by. So never say never is the way to think in my book.
    Thing is my wife is also a musician and when it comes to my extreme time schedules (like 3 days in a row in the studio - sleeping there too) she understands completely what gives. Do not fool yourself though. Even with the best, there will always be some minimal nagging. I say this with all my respect to women, nagging is a woman's thing. They all do it, the amount just depends on the person. In my case it is so minimal that never bothered me, i do find it logical sometimes as well. But in many of my past relationships it has been excruciating.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

You're musicians or producers and have heard lots of my opuses for more than 2 years and still don't understand me properly, how to expect a girl to do that? The problem is I'm afraid to be murdered.:dunno:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

suffered from :rofl:
    we're just humans...
    well-founded, my friend, I'm sorry
    :hahaha:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Flawless logic lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. BIG-BOSS

BIG-BOSS Noisemaker

The better and more refined question should be

"Should a musician marry or seriously date another musician?"

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

Please be specific. For example a techno lover with a pop listener or a EDM producer with a passionate believer in dark classical or so. You can think the same in sub genres too. :yes::bleh:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

It's funny you mention because a lot of famous musicians are married and have kids. Hmm...:dunno:

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Marriage is like a production workflow. Everyone tries to find the unsurpassed one working for him/her but sometimes doesn't work and we must change the view or improve it or even quit it but any of them is priced (too highly or lowly) and should be payed.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I once had a girlfriend who wasn't a musican but an incredible huge fan of Cliff Richard [​IMG]. She owned each and every record of him.
    I really can't describe this nightmare, unbelievable. I was close to piercing my eardrums. But alcohol helped a lot. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

i have an idea, do what i did and marry a musician , sure she will steal all of you beats but at least both can being starving artists together, Just make sure to keep her away from drummers, those guys are dicks and will try to steal her away from you

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Very very well said!.....perfectly put actually!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. BIG-BOSS

BIG-BOSS Noisemaker

Back in college i dated lots of musicians. it was incredible. the sex and that they enjoyed all of my music: trance to progressive metal.

Im 30 now, and would kill to find a girl into music. Have a GF now that doesnt give one fuck about anything i like. New Opeth album, her reaction "meh". Its sad. Especially this time of year Holidays and all. Have a JS Bach Christmas concert I want to attend that will perform oratorios and some chorals. I think I'll prob go alone. Cest la vie

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

There is only one reason to get married and that is both people believe they can spend the rest of their lives together.
    Debts, income, status quo, job type, children or anything else are no reason to get married.

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

And try to have no objection to anything. It's the key for all happiness in life. I know it's the hardest thing but there's not a better solution than that.:winker::mates:

17. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

You can try, but don't expect much. Marriage in general is on it's way out (along with the family). Sign of the times.

18. Yes, but not if they're in the same band.

19. Any marriage is work to keep it together, but anyone who is highly passionate about anything, be it science, art or even growing flowers needs their partner to understand that our brains have this magnetic property enmeshed into our very framework of our core being that will always hone in on that which we are automatically and magically drawn. It is what it is, and honesty to oneself and your partner is golden. It cannot be an excuse to not give him or her your time and efforts if it is a part of your soul and embedded in the core of your bones. Your partner needs to expect, respect and honor your needs in this aspect of your shared life otherwise drama will destroy your relationship. If you don't fulfill or neglect your own needs you will be miserable and your relationship will suck. One must have the freedom to be an artist, and any partner not getting on with that has no right to say that they love you for who you are, they just wish to mold you into a figment of their own selfish needs. Artists are not "regular" people and need to either be in relationship with another of our ilk or to be with someone that is comfortable and secure in their own skin. Your relationship may not work anyway, but at least you will be true to yourself. However, if you have a child the little one deserves, and rightly so, a parent that puts as much effort and focus in their direction as into their chosen medium of expression. This in itself can be an art form and as much a balancing act such as a Chinese acrobatics troup might deliver.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I liked your post so much that it reminded me something I intend to do long time ago that is re-read Fromm's classic "The art of Love". I first read it when I was 16 so I didn't understand half of the thing.