Mapping in Ableton..

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by One Reason, Apr 1, 2012.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Something I have been trying to come to grips with In Live 8...

1. Can you map the same fader or knob to two different plugins but only change the selected plugins parameter?

For example, I load two plugs.. I map the same fader to ..for example.. the volume knob, for each of the different plugs... but when I change one, both change.. Is there a way to somehow use the same fader for both, but only affect the selected plugin....ie: one at a time.. independently?

Additionally, is there anyway to use the same fader for track volume control in Live.. and a plug.. or several? Any way to switch back and forth?

Having only six faders on my controller MPK49, it seems to me that if I can only use them on six parameters thru-ought an entire project it's quite limiting. :dunno:

Thx in advance.

3. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Went to hit reply and clicked 'thanks' ^__^

I know exactly what you're talking about (I've run into the same issue before in Live)
    In most cases, it works for me -- and I can move between and control assigned controls independently
    depending on what is currently selected (highlighted) and being used -- I have had troubles losing
    assignments in the past though, but not sure how I resolved the issue to be honest with you ...
    You could bank your fader assignments up (assign faders to banks - A,B,C)
    Also -- You should have 8 faders, 8 rotary controls on the MPK49 ^__~

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

lol... yeah, ur right.. i meant 8 of course..

anyway.. after fooling with it this eve.. I realized.. the wonder of Rack macro controls.. and.. having an APC 40... gives me basically unlimited control over the 8 knob macro banks.. per instrument \ effect rack.

But, ya, thanks for reminding me my MPK also has fader banks... doH!

Been in Live , many years, but having an APC40 and a good controller is really pretty new and I've been crash coursing past few days while I have had a little time to.

thanks! and....oh, Thanks for thanking me !! :rofl:

:mates:

5. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

Hi,i don't own mpk49 but i think is possible that
    you can play with the midi cc numbers(128) and channels(16).
    I mean you can save different presets on your mpk49 and recall them,i do this with uc33e,xone4d,novation launchpad and bcr2000 they have all buttons to recall presets.
    For example:
    Preset 1 - Knob 1: cc1 midi channel 1
    Preset 2 - Knob 1: cc1 midi channel 2
    Preset 3 - Knob 1: cc70 midi channel 1

You can use MPK49 - Vyzex Preset Editor http://www.akaipro.com/mpk49

And finally to control the plugins use macro control instead to map directly the plugins,in this way you can control more parameters at the same time with one knob,this is interesting with effects or some strange synth sound!! :rofl:

I know that's not exactly what you was asking for,but is a work around! :wink:

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks man, helped a lot. *yes*