Manual Midi Punch in issue

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Delfinx4, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Hello, why if I record a few notes on an existing midi event S1 creates a new event larger than the actual notes recorded? . The event allways fill the whole bar and erase previous midi notes inside that bar.

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I had this with low-cost USB MIDI interfaces several times (they dropped MIDI events like Note-Off, Sysex etc) until I got rid of that crap.

4. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Hi Fiction in that case there would be the chance to analyze the wrong clip content in midi edit window. Didn't make that test although I will tomorrow. As you say it could be the midi interface or its driver. I use an Emagic Mt4 usb interface not low cost but discontinued.

5. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

6. C7

C7 Member

Why don't you approach midi like you would vocal comping and create two (or more) midi tracks when you record. One for your comping and then one or more for your various takes. Then copy parts you like from your takes into the comping track. I was never much a fan of punching in or destructively overwriting midi tracks.

Edit:
    If you have controller data (such as a sustain pedal) you can always slice sections of the midi from the takes, copy them to the comping track, glue them together, then fine tune the seams (between the controller data) in the comping track's piano editor to create a seamless part.​

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  7. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Hi C7 thanks for the input, it can be a workaround althoug I wish to know if that issue is a known bug or something related to my system configuration. I use punch in manually a lot in my work flow.

8. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Nobody?

9. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

This thread is about the same issue, l would call it bug tho. https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=109512
    The bad thing is that they didn't fix it in the last update. It stranges to me that nobody use midi recording in the way I do with Logic Pro, for instance.
    Midi recording should work the same way that audio recording does. Later each one will be free to use it or edit mistakes in piano roll instead.
    However I have discovered a workaround I hope ppl like me could find useful: if you place the loop locators to the right in an empty area of the main window where there is nothing recorded yet. Activating loop in transport bar you can punch in/out midi tracks or even audio and midi tracks together and like by magic the midi clips got cropped by content in the same way that audio tracks. Even if you just play a single midi note, a thiny clip will be created. The down side is you can't use the loop record mode meanwhile. :(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017