Man I live in texas and have no degree. How tf can I afford a sony c800g? or at least a u87....

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Jake Jlinngall, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Jake Jlinngall

Jake Jlinngall Kapellmeister

I am currently in college so I have no money well not 10k that is forsure. Like it's so frustrating having to fix shitty mics with garbage ass harsh frequencies when that problem arises. It's a hit or miss every song. Surely there is something I am missing. How do you fix the cheap bitterness of a harsh cheap condenser microphone?

3. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

It really depends on what you are recording. Different microphones shine or fail for different applications, sometimes even a cheap condenser can sound lovely if it does well in the required setting at proper levels and distances. Perhaps if you could provide a little more background information you might get more useful feedback or suggestions.

If you are just ranting to rant, then rant on young one. However, realize than you are still young and that almost everyone started out on less than ideal equipment at one point or another. Also there are plenty of times c800g or U47 are less than ideal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) Get a job. Work weekends.
    2) Buy cheaper but good mics (Aston Origin, NT1, Warm Audio wa-87, wa-47, etc)
    3) ????
    4) Profit!!!1!

You upgrade as you go, like we all do.
    Just because a mic is cheap doesn't necessarily mean it sounds bad or has harsh frequencies. Tons of cheap mics sound good. Start with a Rode NT1 or Nt1-a, pop filter and a great pre.

Learn how to de-ess, EQ, compress, parallel compress, apply reverb, delay (and process the sends before delay and reverb), etc.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. Jake Jlinngall

Thank you! from my experience sometimes desseing, eq and post production processing can't fix these mics to have that same smooth freq like high end mics like u47, and sony g etc...

6. Jake Jlinngall

Forsure that's why I said it's a hit or miss. Wish I had a bigger and better mic locker.

7. thecastermaster

thecastermaster Ultrasonic

Slate ML-1. Good Emulation of a C800

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. koolarbi

koolarbi Newbie

9. koolarbi

koolarbi Newbie

I think you are only wishing, listen to advice and use what you have to learn to make good music

10. Jake Jlinngall

I have that mic and it is actually really harsh especially in the mix. I would recommend the nt1a over the ml1 tbh. I appreciate you helping me out giving me recommendations though (no sarcasm) genuinely.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Chiari Golden

Chiari Golden Member

Use Slate ML-1 with expansion packs. Those mics are $10000 for no good reason.

12. Jake Jlinngall

I have sat in front of computer for 48 hours straight so far before finally making a post. I am trying to fix this shit condenser and nothing is working bro. Sometimes the mic is just not good enough.

13. Jake Jlinngall

I Have that mic I will be glad to post samples for you to show you how harsh it is.

14. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Someone won a grammy, while producing and recording on his Iphone, so you have no excuses for failing at production. It is not about gear - it is mostly about the ideas and their execution

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Jake Jlinngall

I would love to see how he did it. is there a tutorial? I am talking mostly about recording vocals here in this post not other instruments.

16. Chiari Golden

Chiari Golden Member

but do you use it as intented with Slate VMS-ONE and the app ?

17. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Maybe the problem is with your room? I've used several mics that cost between 50$-400$ that sounded absolutely great and has no "garbage ass harsh frequencies". Consider that the SM58 that costs a 100$ was used for many classic vocal recordings. Definitely sounds like something else is fucking up your sound.

18. Jake Jlinngall

Yes sir. Don't get me wrong it is good if you are just starting out. By itself the ml1 even without the software is a pretty decent mic. But in certain pop and especially r&b and ballad type of applications where you really need the vocal to sound like a star by itself the harshness gets exposed especially when compared to pro records. I have a bae mp and a UA 1176. I have been renting high end mics for the longest and I have been spoiled. Tired of renting and wand to own one man. Will the slate give me something I can show my friends and family and impress them? yes absolute. will this mic blow the hairs off pro and hardcore listeners and A&Rs? no. if you have good ears you know exactly what I am talking about. No matter how much post processing you can't make it sound smooth in the low mids and high freqs like high end mics like the sony c800g. Minor diffidence for some but subconsciously that is what separates am from pro records. The difference is in the detail.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Jake Jlinngall

no disrespect but to be fair may I hear a sample of the record you are describing and then i will post a reference of what I personally classify as a "great" record. What you feel is a great sound and I feel could be two different things because it is subjective. I genuinely am not trying to insult you in any way man as you are only trying to help which i appreciate alot. i am just trying to give you an idea of the bar I am setting for myself based on my references.

20. Chiari Golden

Chiari Golden Member

Interesting. I think you just want the mics that you rented. :rofl:What you say is true but people do get away with "cheap" mics. Slate's mic modeler is the best price performance thing out there. You might be just too perfectionist for your budget. You are not missing anything :sad:

21. DigitHandz

DigitHandz Ultrasonic

Do mics have a frequency response graph? If so I would counter-equalize it