Male Vocal Harmony Plugin !?

Discussion in 'Software' started by marshall stack 666, May 19, 2016.

1. marshall stack 666

marshall stack 666 Member

Hi ,Sexy land !

I know it sounds lazy but after tracking lead Vocals my voice needs to recover.

Would anyone have any knowledge of a Vst plugin or sample pack that offers high-quality Male harmony / background vocals that can be pitch-adjusted to suit any male vocal part to use in the DAW.
    Any other useful tips on how to get good backing vocal results welcome!

Would the Nectar harmony section work or Melodyne4 ?

Spank You all very mooch ! :winker:

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Melodyne 4 will do this very nicely. It's pretty easy to realise but there are a few tutorials on the sister site on Melodyne.
    You put it on your track transfer the audio, then you copy your "blobs" and make your harmony as you wish.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

irCAM trax...i hope and pray / yarp dna epoh i...xart MACri

5. marshall stack 666

marshall stack 666 Member

Thanks ,I've got Melodyne 4 but just haven't given it a good test run cause I'm in the creative writing / tracking phase at the moment and need my energy..Will check it out ! :)

6. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Copy and Paste your Lead Vocal track onto a separate track set 3 seconds ahead and whoola nice Stereo harmonized Vocal track that isn't computerized fake sounding

7. Jannegirl40

Jannegirl40 Ultrasonic

Um....what?

8. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

@Jannegirl40 I've seen IRCAM before, but it was in reference to Ableton Live DAW and exclusive plugins for it. I was looking to do something, and someone suggested something that included that. Unfortunately, idr, wtf I asked about.

I vote for Melodyne too, but you need to make sure you understand the difference between dropping down the formant of the sound, and the actual pitch of the blob. So knowing how to use it actually pays off. You also would probably benefit from reducing the tremolo of your voice for the backing vocals (which you can alter to an arbitrary amount).

Also, backing vocals have to be in a different reverb room size (usually larger with a little predelay), and lower gain, so it sits in the mix right, and Melodyne has the ability to add randomness to both the pitch and speed of the wave form, which you will need if you're only using one take...make sure you don't "auto" tune the freakin thing perfect, cause it becomes sonically simplified and makes ppl lose interest.

@studio5599 do you mean 3 milliseconds? cause 3 seconds would be weird, imo. At 3 ms it still could sound flangie...Idr the delay time for chorus'y but I think it's between 10-15ms. I can't believe compressors with 3 microseconds have an affect, but they definitely do on vox and some types of drums.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

melodyne is awesome for this

if you are looking for a fast vocal sampler, exhale for kontakt is great

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Well that's a good technique, I agree, but it's for doubling not at all for harmonies.

11. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

I forgot about revoice a little pricey though! Its on my list
    revoice 3

12. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Melodynes 4's good, especially with the sound editor, but the real things better, you could use Melodyne to rough up the harmony part and then do it for real once you've had a break?

13. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

If what Melodyne 4 can do doesn't amaze you or put you in awe, you have become jaded.....(I remember the 1st Harmonizer). For this task, you copy/paste your melody to the pitch you want, then you can get in there and do all sorts of things that won't make it sound copied/pasted/shifted. Monkey with harmonics or forment, add vibrato or change the vibrato of either part, shorten or lengthen notes in select spaces, etc. I can spend a lot of time in there, late at night, just tinkering and doodling.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Curryouz

Curryouz Member

Melodyne 4 is brilliant for this, but I need to stress the "4", because since version #4 it's now possible to have multitracks running and edited simultaniously. That gives you a very helpful overview on all the harmony vocals you're about to create. (For instance: You can see and edit the leadvocal, a second voice (3rd) and third voice (5th) at the same time within the same plugin-instance.
    Believe me, this is how I personally do this currently.
    Another great tool for this is Auto-Tune (since version 7).
    Auto-Tune allows you to track the desired pitch via MIDI. And in combination with the "Formant" knob your artificial voices still sound some kind of "real". (Formant correction was first introduced in version 7, i think.)
    Or - if you own Reason - you can do quite the same as in Auto-Tune within Reason's Neptune-device.
    Simply create a Neptune-track in Reason's arranger and draw / play the notes that shall be played / "sung" by your artificial harmony voice.
    These 3 tricks are how I do it on my tracks.
    So if you work on rather "acoustic" or "serious" music, where a quite natural result is desired, try the Melodyne trick.
    If it's rather electronic music, try the Auto-Tune or Reason trick - or use a vocoder!!
    Have fun! :)

15. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

You can do it natively in Cubase 8 as well & with Waves Tune