Making My Tracks Sound Vintage/Old Record

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Lanakazic, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Lanakazic

Lanakazic Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this site but I'm looking to stay for the long run.

I'm in the process of writing my debut album and based on a creative decision, I'm now looking to add that "vintage" tone/colour throughout every track, or in better terms, I'd like it to sound as if it was recorded from an old record.

Now I'm aware of the basics: adding vinyl hisses, tape emulations, distortion/saturation and for the majority of these methods, I'm somewhat unsatisfied and feel it only scratches the surface (maybe I'm wrong) For a more real representation, I'm asking whether I could better emulate it by running the tracks through some sort of filter or process, where I can really nail this sound I'm after. So I guess what I'm asking is: What are the characteristics of the music from vinyl records? What makes them sound vintage? I have not done my research prior, so apologies if these questions seem more difficult than they actually are.

Thanks to everyone in advance, I'll be sure to contribute back to the forum regularly.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual