How to Make Money with Music in 2024

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Kate Middleton, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

can we discuss music and money.. i never felt that i need to make money through my music.. i have a job
    i just dont get this spotify and youtube monitisating job.. anyone ?

3. guns and gold

guns and gold Noisemaker

4. Zoketula

Zoketula Pending Deletion

I felt the need to make money unfortunately. :rofl:
    Spotify is chump change. YT, well the world is your oyster, but it's not exactly
    a get rich fast scheme and you don't get money for nothing and having more
    than one lane of income is advisable. There is no map for that.
    If you need money, just ask your dad. He is a king. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

The only musicians I knew who made money made it by selling dope to other musicians:winker:

6. Zoketula

Zoketula Pending Deletion

Or the roadie.
    "I am from Miami."
    "Oh really? How much do you know about cocaine?"

7. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

The only musicians I knew who made money made it by selling digital collectibles to other musicians.

8. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

Let's say you are a solo act making electronic music.

1. Make good music and beautiful visuals.
    2. Post your music on Bandcamp so people can be able to support you directly. Post it on Soundcloud and youtube so it gets more visibility.
    3. Create an instagram account so your fans and peers can connect with you.
    4. If you are unique and work hard you will be able to build a fanbase.
    5. You can make a small run of T-shirts for your fans or press a limited number of vynils and sell them on Bandcamp.

From there if you really want to live from your music and have a career you need to be able to perform live (DJ set or live show) and sign to a label that will actually promote you and a get a booking agent that will actually get you gigs or interviews.

- Your main source of income will be from touring and selling your merch at the venues.
    - When you are signed to a label and depending on you contract, you negotiate how much money you get from the CD's/vynils they pressed for you and you also get a percentage of physical copies for yourself to sell on your bandcamp and at your shows. Same goes for merch (T-shirts, accessories, etc...)

It is at this moment that it make sense to me that your label will get you published on Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music, Amazon Music etc...
    There is no money in streaming it's mostly a promotional tool and it's someone's job is to get your track on a big weekly/monthly playlist.
    Some artists get their music on streaming platform by themself on their first unsigned release, why not, they try to get in the algorythms.

Some people never release anything unless they are signed to a big label.
    Some people always stay independant, creates publishing and distribution companies so they have full control on their rights from the beggining. Some people make music in their bedroom and get contacted by bigger artists to go to a writing camp.
    Some people just have connexions and friends that make their carreer start faster.
    Some people make it big and other just make enough money so they don't have to work a normal job, so they can travel and have fun.

This is from the point of view of small independant labels and artists.
    There is an infinity of possibilities really, depends on where you are from, who you know, how hard you work, your talent, your luck...

One thing that is shared across all forms of art or businesses is that people that have rich parents can fail and try again and again it doesn't matter, they will be fine. But common working class people, only have a few opportunities while working full time jobs.

I have friends that get gifted $5000 of music gear (not even for a special occasion) and friends that are 12k in debt from self-producing albums that had no commercial success.

There is only one style of music, it's popular music, people just do it at different levels of success.

9. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

There was a time not so long ago and not in a land far, far away, nor in a time long, long ago, when live music was available 24/7, 365 days of the year and musicians made a good living performing. Some were already on the marketing path selling their music at gigs and touring their respective countries. This was worldwide.
    Then came noise pollution laws, drink-driving laws, entertainment licensing, video, DVD, Blueray and encoding, The Internet....none in any specific order, but where venues were shut down for many reasons associated, and people chose to stay home and hire entertainment with too much to list that compounded into what you have today. The aforementioned is without entering into the commissioning, film, documentary or jingle arenas of music...

Now today being asked this question, you have less avenues for diversity available not because of a lack of talent, skill or competence, but because the avenues for money-making are limited primarily to one source if money is sought - Online. Unless as an artist you can guarantee bums-on-seats at every venue, which is limited to the already famous, then live money-making as a living is a thing of the past.

Being signed to a label means less now than it did twenty years ago. The rules have changed in streaming but not in contract. If they decide not to release anything you record under contract, this has not changed for well over 50 years. Every contract for anyone who has had one gives the label the main choice. They can hold you to it being unable to release anything except through them for the entire duration and if they choose, release nothing. The odds on advances like the prior 60 years are tiny unless they already know you will sell a million or more streams regularly. It was common to see 150K upwards advances in recording deals. Now, maybe a handful are given that. This means you can release nothing until the contract expires, should they decide they like nothing you present to them for release. This goes for both recording and publishing and has not changed. It is one of the few things that hasn't changed. What also has not changed is that you make no money until the label has recouped any expenses it has paid out on your behalf. Oh, you did not realize the marketing and other parts are expenses you basically pay for? You didn't read the fine-print? :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024