Making cubase workflow as quick as ableton

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by OraMorph, Apr 22, 2020.

1. OraMorph

OraMorph Ultrasonic

sorry no, this is bare bones basic piano roll stuff from decades ago

2. OraMorph

OraMorph Ultrasonic

haha, no no conor will get smashed and choked out once again, becuase he only fights that crippled cowboy, or poor defenseless old men in the pub! :(

khabib is gonna squeeze and pop his head next time :) stupid little leprechaun scumbag plumber flapping his jaws at every opportunity
    (they should have never given him money in the first place, now he thinks he has taste in fashion haha)

"Uh oh! oh shit hes got my neck, help me dillon danis!!!"
    -McTapper
    [​IMG]

3. Klefths

Klefths Ultrasonic

Now who's spamming his own thread?

4. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

Khabib's WIFE puts up a harder fight - and I know - I saw the video - on the dark web!

5. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

Khabib likes to take it up the a**

6. bmdmix

bmdmix Noisemaker

wow i can barely understand the English going on here i have no idea what u all trying to say

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Actions in Reaper and macros in Cubase are awesome tools. Plus you can map them to MIDI which makes things even more interesting. The 4-way directional encoder in general MIDI mode on my Maschine MK3 with custom actions, is so much more useful in Reaper than it is in Maschine. Sad to say that but true.

I've been rescoring an older movie and adding SFX and the things I can do in Reaper with that 4-way encoder and the Jog wheel options + actions are crazy cool.

8. odod

odod Rock Star

found this, you might be interested

9. Fourier

Fourier Ultrasonic

I've hopped from Ableton to Cubase years ago. Here's what I can say:

No session view

Currently, Cubase has nothing equal to session view. If session view is significant part of workflow, Cubase has no alternative and you either have to learn how to use only arrangement view without session view or stick to Ableton. Given how much people request session view, it might be a future feature of Cubase but do not purchase Cubase assuming it will be.

Hotkeys

Nearly every kind of hotkey imaginable in Cubase can be set in custom. Be warned though, Cubase likes from time to time forget your preferences for various reasons (including due to daylight savings time, which apparently has to do with Windows). You want to save the preferences folder and keep backups. Whenever you see Cubase suddenly switching to default stuff, just use the backup.

Macros

Not only can you use custom hotkeys, but same goes for macros. However macros tend to be quite rare these days - I haven't really been able to use them much anymore but perhaps that's due to my lack of experience with them. In the past, I've used them to sort out lack of certain features that didn't exist until later. Lot of people do use them, so check Steinberg forums to get ideas on what they can be used for.

Direct offline processing

Biggest bonus and a vast improvement to workflow if you do anything where such things are useful is the "direct offline processing" feature. It allows you to simply select a range of a clip and apply processing directly to that part of the clip. It is extremely useful if you find something, say, annoying in high frequencies or whatever in a recording - and just a small part of it rather than thorough. This happens very often with vocal recordings especially. You don't need to apply the plugin into an insert, automate parameters and render it etc. All you need to do is select a range, press a custom hotkey you've set up for whatever plugin you need for the task (you can also select from a list - but I use only few in such cases), adjust parameters and voilá, it's there. It's non-destructive too. This feature is rather exclusive, but at least Samplitude and Pro Tools have this feature.

EDIT: noteworthy is also that as of right now and possibly even in future, direct offline processing can cause issues with plugins that affect the phase for obvious reasons unless you are careful with the fadein and fadeout transitions

ARA2

ARA2 is super hyped feature. Don't worry if you stick with Ableton and figure out that Ableton is unlikely to ever have ARA2, or not in near future. In truth, only so few plugins have any practical use for ARA2. But if you use Melodyne or spectral editing programs, that is where ARA2 shines. Cubase has its own tuning system called VariAudio which is good, but latest Melodyne is somewhat better. ARA2 allows these plugins to run as if they were "native" in the DAW, rather than use merely the buffer. ARA2 isn't exactly revolutionary either, so it's overhyped quite a bit.

Chord track!

One of the most lovely features of Cubase is the chord track. While you can use it to create progressions and Cubase will give you suggestions, it's rather bad tool for that. If you do understand chords and know how chord progressions work and how you can use them, chord track helps you to keep track with that. It appears like a tool that a beginner would use, but in truth, I think it's less useful for a beginner than someone who actually has to keep up with various kinds of modulations they have planned out etc. If you just use the same 4 chords through the song, then it's less valuable. But if you happen to use various chord substitutions, including trisubs or augmented sixths etc, it helps so much.

You can also align your midi tracks to chord track, so that note colors depend on the data in chord track. But you really need to know what you're doing if you want to do non-standard progressions, because Cubase will easily start switching keys like a baffoon. Some pretty standard jazz progressions might look like the key is switching every chord, even though it never actually changes. I usually set it so that the key isn't automatically figured by Cubase and I set it myself.

Piano roll

Cubase has vastly superior piano roll. No other DAW has as good piano roll as Cubase. The piano roll has pretty much everything you would ever want from one - well, except the possibility of setting up program changes through curves like automation in the CC lanes. You can even manipulate individual notes for MPE if you wanted to, although in practice I never would personally.

I really don't know what to say about it honestly, except that whenever I use any other DAW and their pianorolls, I usually cringe hard because the UI is always so annoying. In Ableton, you are forced to have the piano roll part of the main screen as a small box that you have to enlarge. This is possible in Cubase too, but to my workflow I need to have piano roll on a separate window. If I have a piano part for instance, it will easily span up to 3 octaves and seeing all that from a small window is not easy. A simple major 6/9 chord with 1-5-1 on left hand and 3-6-9 on right hand will already span just over 2 octaves.

As a side note: if you use capture midi function in Ableton, Cubase has this as well.

Arrangement view

Arrangement view is all you have in Cubase - which of course comes as a minus for people who use session view. But it also comes with a plus: arrangement view of Cubase is better designed than the one in Ableton. Manipulating events with the various tools of Cubase is far more flexible according to my experiences. The UI isn't clogged up with unnecessary channel information like it is with Ableton at the bottom (unless you want to enable the bottom view - it's enabled by default but I have it always disabled). You can easily hide channels that you don't want to see (this is sometimes necessary - I might have guitars go through like 15 channels and I really don't need to see all of them so I can just use a folder to hide all of them). This actually might be possible with Ableton too, not sure.

Want to do things live?

Honestly, I'd rather go Ableton. Abletons session view is super handy for live performances and Cubase substitutions for that are really subpar. Of course, you can use Ableton always for live stuff and Cubase in the studio, but just be prepared that you will need Ableton even after you have Cubase.

Inserts in Cubase vs. Inserts in Ableton

Ableton inserts are simultaneously awesome and dogshit. The fact that you can have easily accessible plugin controls without opening the plugin as a separate entity is awesome. But sadly this comes with a cost: you have to select the track before you can access the plugin if its not already opened up. This gets easily tedious to any person who has got used to using channel inserts. Setting up complicated routing in Cubase is just generally far more easier in Cubase than it is in Ableton and the way they are visualized in Ableton aren't quite as good as in Cubase, since Cubase has rather clear I/O & send panels for each track whereas Ableton ones are rather small.

1 screen vs. 2 screens

Ultimately, lot of the workflow-related stuff has to do with the fact that Ableton was designed for one screen whereas Cubase was designed for multiple screens. That's not to say that you can't use two screens with Ableton or one screen with Cubase, but it is to say that benefits of multiscreen for Ableton are far less than for Cubase, whereas Cubase UI gets easily cluttered on single screen compared to more simplistic approach that Ableton took with session/arranger views and the goofy insert panel at the bottom. Ableton did very good job with everything as their DAW was designed for laptop use - that means design choices that appear as compromises for people who use PC's with multiple screens whereas Cubase UI might appear "too busy" for people on laptops.

This is why for instance Ableton does not have a proper mixer view. It was never a significant priority for them because the mixer view that Cubase has is rather cumbersome for someone who works with a single screen.

Bottomline is, I think Cubase is superior when these two are compared in a two screen situation. In one screen situation, I would legitimately consider staying with Ableton. It's also worth noting that Cubase comes with a dongle - if you want a DAW that you use in two computers, Ableton is far less annoying. The dongle isn't really annoying in and of itself, but that's only assuming you never have to move it and you're not running out of USB ports. I've had one of them break in the past, but the modern dongle is really tiny and you'd have hard time breaking it - but much easier time losing it. If you lose it, you better have Cubase registered to your account. Get a new dongle (for 20 bucks or so) and the customer support will deactivate the old dongle license and allow you to transfer it to a new dongle. But if you didn't register it before losing it, you just lost as much as you paid for Cubase.

One good thing about Cubase also is that the full version costs significantly less than Abletons full version. It's quite curious to me, but Cubase is price-wise actually one of the most competitive DAW's. Studio One I think is still the best price-wise.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Of course, because that is specific to Live. That was a new thing at the time, borrowing from the Groovebox sequencers of the 90s that you could record Sections and chain them as a Song.
    But back with Logic 5 we made an Environment set-up where we could record and play-back loops, overdub, etc. Similar to Ableton Live.

11. Fourier

Fourier Ultrasonic

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the design overall but I understand why Ableton sticks to it. Competing with these modern DAW's that use traditional UI laid down by Pro Tools (I believe PT was before Cubase in the traditional architecture, right?) isn't fruitful since they're so far away from it. Bitwig in this sense is kind of currently the most promising DAW - it's far away still but I do believe that if they play their cards right, Bitwig has a chance to become the ultimate DAW in far future. It's highly unlikely, but at this point DAW's have come so far that you'd have to take big risks to stand out and Bitwig could do that if they have a higher emphasis on modular stuff.

12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

By 2+ months.