Making a new genre - SweatCore

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by FLRIZDARKK, Dec 26, 2021.

1. FLRIZDARKK

FLRIZDARKK Producer

Yo, my name is Florin and I am a producer, vocalist and mix engineer of a new genre that i've created called SweatCore (the core that makes you sweat), that combines a lot of genres I personally enjoy such as techno, trance, drill, nightcore (but unlike nightcore, only og songs and maybe some remixes - mainly the high pitched vocals characteristic). Hope you guys enjoy it!

POWER - florinsdistortedvision [SWEATCORE] - YouTube

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    • Funny x 4
    • Love it! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  3. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Sorry, but I have to say this.
    Genre is decided by the listeners and the industry.
    Nobody said "I know, I'll invent something called Rock n Roll". The sound just happened and it was given a term later.
    Nobody calls oneself a Master, it is a title decided upon and given by others.
    Likewise, defining a sound or genre in words as you have, prior to its existence, is pointless my friend.
    So, your genre is made up of other genres, I see.
    This is not how it works and you do not decide.
    The industry does. Just saying.
    But when people have changed a sound slightly (House to Garage) there is usually already a term in existence in the scene.

Will listen to your tracks now! :wink:

4. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I agree with F.L.O.W. and just wanted to add that creating your own sub-sub-sub-sub genre is a way of creating your brand but ALSO a way of hyper limiting yourself. Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

And just like Hardcore, it should be called Sweatcore!
    So you have sub genres from two different genres here. Interesting.
    Sorry, I still haven't got around to listening yet!
    But I will because I now need to hear this strange new genre that is influenced by both electronic dance and Hip Hop! :)

6. FLRIZDARKK

FLRIZDARKK Producer

Respectfully I disagree, while some might’ve been as you said , some have been created and named by the creator such as Ambient music, Nightcore (named by their duo called Nightcore), HipHop, Afrobeat etc. most of these names have been coinflipped or just came naturally by thinking.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The world becomes more difficult and more opaque due to ever new concepts.

In the beginning there were a few simple terms:
    Rock - Punk - Blues - Jazz - Disco - Ambient - Electronic Dance Music

Now it is getting more difficult and incomprehensible (Subcategories)

A. Ambient music
    C. Chill-out music, Chiptune, Crunk
    D. Electronic dance music, Downtempo, Dub music, Dubtronica
    E. Electroacoustic improvisation, Electronic rock, Electropop, Electropunk
    F. Folktronica
    G. Grime music
    I. Indietronica, Industrial music
    M. Musique concrète
    N. New wave music, Noise music, Nu jazz
    P. Post-disco, Power electronics (music)
    S. Sampledelia, Synth-pop, Synthwave
    T. Trip hop
    V. Vaporwave, Video game music

List of electronic music genres

A. Ambient music, Ambient techno
    C. Chillwave, Crunkcore
    D. Dark ambient, Deconstructed club, Downtempo, Dreampunk, Drone music, Dub music, Dubtronica
    E. Electro-industrial, Electroacoustic music, Electronic rock, Electronicore, Electropop, Electropunk, Ethnic electronica
    F. Folktronica, Future funk
    G. Grime (music genre)
    H. Hardvapour, Hauntology (music), History of drum and bass
    I. Indietronica, Industrial hip hop, Industrial metal, Industrial music, Industrial rock
    K. Kosmische musik, Krautrock
    L. Live electronic music, Livetronica
    M. Minimal wave
    N. New wave music, Nightcore, Nu jazz
    P. Plunderphonics, Post-dubstep, Progressive electronic, Psybient, Psydub
    S. Sampledelia, Soundscape, Space music, Synth-funk, Synth-pop, Synth-punk, Synthwave
    T. Trip hop
    V. Vaporwave
    W. Wave music, Witch house (genre), Wonky (genre)

8. Karliban

Karliban Member

The thing with "new" genres is that something needs to be so fresh and different that it can't be easily labeled and placed into
    pre-existing categories. Usually, these tunes (bands, artists) become genre in themselves, while names and categories never really encapsulate their essence in full. and as already mentioned, they come later on. Hence, there is always some artificiality felt in such "monikers".

To the op...I do not see this as a wave of anything new...and, definitely, not my cup of tea. But fair enough, it is just my opinion. Also, I think that you can improve it by focusing more on mixing and arrangement. Everything is loud, and a brain (as well as ears) simply doesn't know on what and where to focus. Thus, try to make certain element louder while leaving some in the background. It may help you to ask yourself what is the "meat" of the song itself. And push that forward. It's like movies...can't have 10 main characters...

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

:no:
    Nope.
    Because dances were called go-go's or hip hops back in the day, and Bambataa may have happened to use the term in a certain context whilst being interviewed, and it stuck somehow.
    But there were more people than Afrika Bambataa responsible for what became Hip Hop. There was no "creator" as you said. Not Lovebug Starski or Afrika...
    'Coining a phrase' though is another thing entirely...It is usually retrospective.
    First sounds of true Hip Hop were called Electro because they stuck to DMX's or Linn's, and synths, whilst the live rap scene had live bands behind the rapper, prior to a DJ, doing current-day joints with a different beat; as did the live Go-Go scene...prior to rap and hip hop.
    Breakbeat, b-boys, breaking, all came from the particular scene of a DJ cutting two of the same vinyl together to get an extended drum break, so the dancer can do their thing.
    A sub aspect of Hip Hop, if you will.
    @BEAT16 Pretty incomprehensive list there! Bad source.
    For instance, you didn't even include Hip Hop or mention any of its sub genres!
    (Trip Hop is a fusion genre, not a sub genre.)
    Drill, as mentioned in this new genre of op's, is a sub genre of Hip Hop.
    Yeah, great genre!?
    Oh, a genre...of music? That's great!

This is 'Winner' material, but I couldn't rate the whole comment because I haven't listened to the tracks yet, as you have! So it wouldn't be fair. And I'm a very fair person!
    One track can set the scene for a style or genre, which was already creating its self, and then that can retrospectively umbrella certain acts that were part of the birth of that general scene.
    And it always comes initially from a scene; a group of people and acts, in a certain area.
    Yes, the "artificiality" you mention is due to how the industry wants to sell it.
    Massive Attack were the least 'Trip Hop' of a Bristol scene that came to be called that, but there you go.
    And I can assure you the term wasn't coined by anybody from the scene!
    Probably came from overseas.
    So matey here might be in a scene of his/her own which only exists in a bedroom.
    Or they may have been gigging this, or maybe streaming in these last 2 years!, and found a niche.
    But I doubt it somehow.
    When Jungle was sooo big and then white kids bought computers, those kids probably had to find a new term for what they were doing! Mostly just out of racial respect! lol But also because they couldn't make the same breaks! Didn't have the Amen, Brother vinyl! hehe. And couldn't programme as well as the junglists.
    So Drum & Bass and all its subgenres arose pretty quickly!
    That was funny.

See, out of all the subgenres that the op mentioned, I only like Drill.
    So I guess I should be really looking forward to listening to this new genre, right...?

Just out of interest, please can you tell me exactly what you think you can disagree with in my comment?
    Respect to you for being cool, thank you.
    I'm actually more interested in this topic now from a psychological and spiritual perspective, more than listening to your music!
    Because those aspects make us and effect our art and what we create...
    Perceptions of how things are can change, and thus will your creativity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  10. timer

timer Producer

In ancient times people did not talk so much about genres, the older name for it was "songs".
    And many songs actually sounded different than other songs, crazy, I know...:guru:
    Probably they didn't know yet how to produce professionally.

11. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Nah, they were just cool and didn't segregate and compartmentalise people and things for the sake of simplicity and money, with no respect for the art!
    "Hey, play that really slow, dark sounding song that you made up! I want to hear it again!"
    "Hey, play that really fast, upbeat song that you can do!"
    All good enough for me! hehe.
    Hey! At least we're helping to bump this thread for the new genre! yay!

12. Coreal

Coreal Member

Despite all the progress in the field of music, our information is very incomplete. Music is an endless world of information, and we know very very little of it.

"Music often involves endless reshaping of a basic shape." Schoenberg

Most of the time, reshapings have different meanings. That we come and give each of those reshapings a name is futile and practically almost infeasible.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  13. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

@FLRIZDARKK
    Hi. Just listened. Enjoyed it.
    Structure was alright I guess, but maybe structured more in a mainstream, commercial way rather than than a dancefloor way? I don't know.
    But the structure just about kept me interested the most.
    The breakdowns were nice but are they going to make people sweat on the dancefloor?
    The main problem would seem to be where you have your bass instrument, and its bass frequencies, in the mix.
    It's not that it doesn't work, and I see that the frequencies sit mostly, but do people really have it sitting that forward in the mix with this type of genre?
    Or is this why you have created your own genre?
    To allow for differences in production?

I believe you can do a better mix than this, especially if you reference a good track.
    It's well done though, I must say.
    Maybe even try using a reference track of another genre that you like the low end of?
    I believe this type of music should hit me harder, but not in the way you have mixed or mastered it.
    Less is more with low end, but then the mixdown has to be finished correctly.

If you were to put up more than one of your tracks, an overview would set the scene to understand your genre or style you are feeling.
    Like, 5 tracks maybe?
    And if one is very different, then ooo baby, you are showing styles allowed within the boundaries of the genre!
    Then, people get inspired to join a movement...
    But I'm not sensing any new flavour yet or anything overly unique.
    Not from one track, anyway.

14. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

I'm quite fucking into this, mate. I could totally imagine dropping a few beans and sweating my bollocks off to this.

I should say I've not touched anything like that for years. Alcohol is my only vice now. But yeah, I could easily picture myself back in the day blasting this whilst chewing away at the insides of my cheeks.

Really nice work, man.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I didn't sweat, but I did get a bit moist.

16. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

I feel your information may be incomplete. Like, you may be fostering some misunderstanding.
    For many thousands of years we have known that the whole universe and everything in it is based on energy, frequency, and vibration.
    This includes music.
    And it's not set out like @BEAT16 made out with some basic industry sourced list; styles and genres purely come from different races and geographical situations, with different materials to hand and different ways of life.
    And it is the same now if you think about, yet usually due to differences in budget for most of us! IE different way of life, thus different materials and a different life vibe...
    Music is just made from people and their surroundings.
    Industry waters this down and pigeon-holes this and abuses it for financial gain.
    Hence "genre".
    Some people seem to want to conform, eh?

17. FLRIZDARKK

FLRIZDARKK Producer

Thank you for the feedback, the bass is a important part as it is directly influenced by drill (especially the drill snare hats and the bass slides). You can def find more in this style (again bass only) like Gatti by Pop Smoke, second part of Off The Grid by Kanye etc.
    As for the tracks, I will def do more, I'm just putting out the best. It is a good introduction imo.

As for genres, I think one should not categories his style into one broad term such as pop, rap, or any of these generic terms that can mean anything really, and artists should be able to have at least a secondary choice to their music. For example, if I put out this track on Spotify or whatever music platform, I would've been forced to pick a broad genre that might've sounded completely different that some of that genre's top songs etc. Sure, you can argue everything connects to everything, but again sometimes it might be too different for a listener to picture together (maybe as a example you can't really picture a song like Gatti by PopSmoke - sorry for repetition - and Akorn by Baby Smoove go together without at least noticing different styles and subgenres of the same broad term "hiphop/rap". For my naming, sweatcore would be either 2 ways to interpret it : 1. Either sweat by dancing or 2. Make your ears sweat by listening with headphones as my style won't really have a wide dynamic range (not trying to push it, but I do deliberately distort the overall mix and apply heavy Mackie style distortion to bass and kick and sometimes to synths, drums etc).

18. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Jazz has several different genres: eg traditional, swing, bebop, free, modern etc.... its not just jazz.

What about folkmusic genres.... same with punk?....

What about classical music?

Bottom line: there has "always" been a lot of genres.

Just my 50 cents

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It was about that a user invented a new genre for himself. I just wanted to say that at some point these many genres would lead to chaos, because nobody can understand what it is and how it should be classified. As you said, it is better to make rough distinctions so that the buyer or seller of music knows what to look for. He invented the "SweatCore" which is actually to be classified under EDM. Or let's all start inventing new genres, BEAT16 Beats Style, phloopy Sounds Style, AudiosexProGrooves Style ...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I enjoyed it. Nice work.

21. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

This comes under "broad terms" as mentioned above and is way too inadequate. "Actually".
    It would be a subgenre of Techno imo.
    You don't know what you are talking about here, it's so obvious.
    EDM can encompass any bloody thing! hehe.