Making a hydrophone - Risks for the portable recorder ?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by j.cnnr, Jul 1, 2019.

1. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Hi!
    I'm doing a (DIY) Hydrophone, because i need to record some sounds underwater, and my idea is to try with an cheap electret condenser microphone (that i already have) totally waterproofed.

But my question is: In a case of not having waterproofed well, (and having activated the Phantom power), could a short circuit occur that could damage my portable recorder (Zoom H6) or the humidity only would damage the microphone?
    :)
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

4. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Yes, I know that website and many others , i will do my best to isolate perfectly the microphone, using waterproofing materials such as thermoretractile plastic, silicone, etc ...
    But i also want to anticipate the risks, and need to know if my Zoom, technically could have some risk in case the humidity can short-circuit inside

In other words, the electric current that travels through the XLR cable, from the microphone to the recorder, could ruin it if the microphone gets wet?

Thanks.

5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

An old trick is to buy condoms and put the mic into that, rubber band wire end tight. If you buy the lubed type, that's your own fault.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I´ve used double protection just for sure :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I used two piezos in a sealed (pun) and dampened can. It worked out pretty well. That removes the possibility to damage the recorder (or the electro-condensers).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Interesting project @j.cnnr

Let´s see some pics and tell us about your experiences when done.

9. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Condoms, balloons, are other "security layers" in wich i'm thinking, really only need to have the microphone submerged for an approximate time of 10 minutes, then i don't need more underwater sounds for a while.

10. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Yes, i have seen how to made that way, introducing the mic into a sealed container with oil.
    First i will try it with the electret that already have, and if the result does not convince me, i will try with contact-piezo mics.

If i can not make sure i do not put the Zoom H6 at risk, then I'll use an Olympus Ls 5 recorder, which has a microphone jack input, and a sensitivity boost feature, which is similar to activating the Phantom Power......as soon as i take the tests and the recordings, i will expand this thread with pics and audio examples.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

you can short the wires of the mic input to the zoom, and it won't hurt anything. Three wires, cross any way you want. will make noise, but won't hurt anything.

12. Satai

Satai Rock Star

A pack of homebrew audiosex hydrophone samples made with condoms and latex gloves would be just what the doctor ordered. Counting on you, brave jcnnr. Even gonna click the "watch thread" thing and await eagerly.