Make "vocal" leads?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Highdom, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

This is a very famous topic...how to create vocal leads? I've noticed it's so common in lot of artists!
    I'll let you some examples:

--> This one and the following are so famous :D ahah

I work in Logic or Ableton. I think they use sample of vocals they load in a sampler but the problem is that in most of them, vocal even change in relation with note played. For instance I realize that for lower notes they play a sample and for higher notes, they use another.
    I've seen this video about the making of Wake Up from Jay Hardway and it's pretty nice but I don't understand what FruitySlicer (if this is its name) works...

Could you explain easily how it works and hot vocal leads are made, generally speaking?
    I do not pretend to recreate exactly the songs above (I'm not DJ Snake Mellow or Hardway:bow:). I'd just like to understand the generic technics, if there is one!
    Thanks a lot!

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

You prolly want a vocoder, and there are a few (free) ones available. (or not, idk)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Best Answer
    some things just happen by "accident" but theres always a technique ;)

just watch both this videos to get a general idea

How to do it in Logic using Serum:

if your interested in more things like this i highly recommend ADSR Music Production Tutorials,
    good quality tutorials and advanced stuff

How to do it in Ableton using Sampler:

5. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Have you thought of getting a vocalist and writing some lyrics and a melody? I know it's a crazy idea, but it might work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Vocal chops in a granular synth. Or a sampler. You can even do it in Melodyne.
    Layering (more synths). FX. Add pepper and salt. Done.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. TW

TW Guest

This vocal chop/pitch effect happens if i fuck up my melodyne vocal edits again. :rofl:

8. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

The most irritating example comes from:

David Guetta (of course) did it also with his EURO 2016 anthem.
    I don't like it. But I agree that it's always interesting to find out more info about "how they made it" etc.
    Example: I recently saw a vid from Dyro about extracting kicks, never thought about the technique behind it. Won't use it though, already satisfied with my own creations from scratch.

9. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Could you explane me more about granular synth for vocal chops? is there ani videos to sum up? I'm new to granular synthesis

Thanks for all the replies, I've found really interesting the one in Serum
    Any presets for Serum?

And what about Don, KSHMR and Clean?

10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Logic's Alchemy can do this, turn off all oscillators beside the first and then where "saw" is written click and load a vocal sample,
    smash they keys and play around with the knobs in the granular tab, sick stuff

theres an epic! max for live Granulator plugin by Monolake, just load a vocal sample in it

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/granulator/

granular synthesis is the "pitch shifting/time stretching" thing, but not only, he explains it in the video

you could also use lives sampler/simpler to do similar stuff

(edit) found a video for Alchemy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017