Make Believe Studios MixHead: did you win the Grammy as Stevie stated?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by patatern, Jun 4, 2024.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

what makes this Tape emu plugin different from (mostly) others is that other plugins rolls of the high end with LPF but this plugin has a High-Frequency limiter mechanism to tame the high end, among other things. The HF Limiter on this plugin is a lot like the HF Limiter modules in the TDR Limiter 6 on the Absolute mode (starts around 2kHz or so) but a bit more aggressive, judging from the delta. It's soft knee but a little higher in ratio (or was it expansion ? because the transfer curve goes down). User can't control the threshold of it but it depends on how much you push the signal into the plugin. The plugin has it's overall brickwall limiting (not True Peak) but the high end portion of the sound will hit the HF Limiter first so the high end will always get more compression/limiting compared to other frequency range. The process will somehow give a little bit headroom for the HF Adjust to compensate the lost high end. I kinda like how the plugin handles the high end with how the HF Limiter (I assume) is after the Drive in the signal chain, so it could clean up a bit of the high end artifact from the tape soft clipping, compression and all sorts of other processing done that is known to make things brighter with the HF Adjust that can also work backward to make things even darker. It's good sounding but it sounds A LOT like the Cubase's Magneto IMO. The controls are similar too. I believe the SPL people that involves with the creation of the hardware are the same people that created original Magneto ? I read in GS but kinda blurry on the details.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  2. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

How does it compare with looptrotter sa2rate? I think it got one of the nicest sounding saturation

3. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

dud i never get tired of saying, i follow you, really like your thoughs or "reviews" from your POV. really appreciated:mates:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

i just tried yesterday and was good, really like what does to the low end, but i cant recognize well whats its doing ... but im kinda feel something like the SIDECAR from pulsar modular...

EDIT: of course without the knobs for compress and eq, i mean about the feeling of just put it into the channel and get a good result about it.

5. Imnotr2r

Imnotr2r Newbie

Audio engineers prior to Mixhead: "I'd KILL to know what Serban uses on his mixbus!!!!!!" Serban and John Hanes after Mixhead: "Yes we used the hardware device for 20 years but now the plugin replaced it" Audio engineers: "Mixhead... meh.. I'll just try Saturn" Like wtf is wrong with these people hahahaha They got the holy grail and are treating it like we got another Ampex plugin

6. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

some psychologic sh*t

7. bravesounds

bravesounds Kapellmeister

Hanes didn't reveal anything. People are just guessing all day long.