Make 808 longer

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Goodmusic, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Goodmusic

Goodmusic Newbie

hello,

i'm trying to play the 808 longer than it is, i'm trying to do what it is in this video

I did the exact thing he did with the envelope but it doesn't work

thanks for your help

3. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

i mean.... if he is just using the tail of a sub to make a "loop"... just use a sine wave in a stock vst and process it to taste. The end result of what he does has no punch... so its essentially just a sine wave. A sine wave with a little saturation, I can tell by the waveform

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Sine wave in any synth. Turn up amplitude sustain and adjust release to taste/length.
    Distort, filter, EQ, etc.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

What exactly didn't work? He used the envelope to make it shorter (to stop it) but the loop to make it sustain (longer).

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Forget the youtube 808s for a minute. If you read the wording carefully, many of these packs you get them from, do not even say they are from an 808. They say "using hardware", which means they put a signal through something else; albeit not a drum machine at all. It is simply weasel wording.

You should get a full featured 3rd party sampler and then learn how to use it. Look into "Classic/One-Shot" vs crossfading, keyboard mappings, and so on. If you pick a good one, you will use it (and only it!) a lot. Then if you ever encounter or decide to switch to another DAW software package; it can go with you. By only using the one program, you will force yourself to learn it inside and out. (and be learning all of them at the same time, anyway).

Back to your 808. Learn how to use Future Audio Workshop Sublab. You would be starting your 808 bass sounds with a infinitely more controllable, predictable, repeatable sound source instead of throwing the same old tired samples at the problem and expecting new results.
    And you would even know where they actually came from.

7. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

editted for relevance- if you did exactly what he did in the video, it would be doing the same thing. more details are needed for specific help imo.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  8. messyeater

messyeater Member

guys can you help him loop his 808 instead of lecturing him.
    all the extra steps just stifle creativity

9. messyeater

messyeater Member

why would he do that when he has an 808 he wants to loop. what if it has a signature sound already?

10. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

It'd be helpful if you post what your original 808 sound was and what your end result was. Maybe with that extra info someone could give you some specific hint.

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah, ok! I thought he wanted to make his own "signature sound".

If you zoom in and find a single cycle loop (within the sample) in a sampler, set the loop points. Then set the amplitude release (the R in ADSR) to taste.
    No, it doesn't.

12. madbuzzin

iris 2 can do what he wants to do... with that sample

13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, pretty much any sampler can do what is requested here, but would you not say that using a spectral manipulation sampler for this purpose is a bit overkill?

14. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Adding to this, for the envelope (assuming it's an ADSR type) there's two basic options: zero Sustain, fastest Attack, control the length with Decay

or

Fastest Attack, Decay can be any, full Sustain, control the length with note length and Release.

I would go with the second option.

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

That's what I meant and took it for granted, hence why I didn't mentioned it. :like: So, adjust ADSR to taste.

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I use TAL-Sampler , but any sampler would do and just loop the middle of the sample, where the sinewaves are most average in level, for as long as you want. Simple. Veeery simple. :wink:

I would actually choose more than one cycle to get more natural sounding result. Something like half a second or thereabouts. Use crossfade loop if the levels at the beginning and the end are too different.

17. madbuzzin

Oh I know it, I was meaning something as obscure of a sampler as Iris could be used for hes tryingto do, yes it is overkill lol

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

any sampler will do, of course. My point was that someone asking this with a join date of 9 years ago is surely asking this because they have moved to a new DAW and it's own internal sampler. If you are going to jump around in DAW packages, it is great to have a sampler (and a synth for 808 basses) which you can load up as a plugin in ANY daw and never find yourself in such unfamiliar new territory. Right? :no:

More often then not, I find myself ramping the Decay value way up, and then bringing it back down to shorten the 808 so it fits the BPM of the song better. There are a million 808 samples to pick from, and if they are from a nice original machine I don't want the sampler changing any of it; if possible. Especially those Goldbaby ones ;]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  19. Goodmusic

Goodmusic Newbie

hi,
    I succesfuly loop into a sin wave using edison but i want a sine wav with the punch at the beginning

thanks to help me

20. Goodmusic

Goodmusic Newbie

There's punch in his 808 subbase listen carefully near the end the video

21. waynekayn

waynekayn Newbie

Turn up amplitude sustain and adjust snaptube vidmate release to taste/length.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022