Major performance hit Meltdown/Spectre

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by ShadoutMusic, Mar 22, 2018.

1. ShadoutMusic

ShadoutMusic Noisemaker

Just installed High Sierra after a long wait to see actual performance hit and after no-one reported anything I decided to hop on the train and boy I was wrong as everybody tested it using Geekbench which is wrong in the first place. As I updated evenrthing seemed ok, but as soon as some update installed everything came to a halt. Im using Ableton 10 and I can barely play few basic tracks now (Drums), some patches Ive made spike to a 120% and start to crackle and before that those same patches never went above 5% cpu wise. I can't ever play Maschine and Ableton together anymore In comparison to Sierra this is completely unusable. My machine is iMac mid 2011 with i5 2.7Ghz, Radeon 6970, 12GB ram and 500gb Samsung SSD so its not top of the line but its still very much capable for thing I'm using it for

3. DJK

DJK Rock Star

i noticed the same on win7 ultimate 64bit, not as bad as you got, so i uninstalled the update and everything is fine, i have a tool from gibson research called spectre/ meltdown checker,i noticed when using live 10 even 3 vst plugins brought the cpu to his knees, im in the process of upgrading my pc, the last thing is motherboard and processor, but ill wait untill intel release the 9th gen i7 then upgrade

4. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Some questions come to mind; Did you archive and install the upgrade coming from at least Yosemite? Afterwards did you re download the new correct audio drivers for your audio interfaces etc? Does the computer run other programs? Are you able to play sound from any other apps?

5. ShadoutMusic

ShadoutMusic Noisemaker

I installed everything from scratch and Im using Focusrite Scarlett for which I don't need any drivers, I just plug it in and it works.
    Still tried various, PRAM and other mumbo jumbo voodoo stuff but nothing helps, never been this way, especially on a fresh install, until I got some update as I don't see that red 1 on my App Store icon anymore and it was there yesterday. And I can't find any info on removing that patch from mac

6. ShadoutMusic

ShadoutMusic Noisemaker

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I would refrain from doing any updates in both OS-X and Windows for the time being and [use Linux for the Internet]...
    [​IMG]
    :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

I am not really noticing any affect from this on a 17 imac with the latest HS beta. Maybe if I before/after benchmarked, but in use I don't really see any change to speak of.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Happy May 7th! :rofl:

https://it.slashdot.org/story/18/05/05/1730203/eight-new-meltdown-like-flaws-found

I actually don't care much if my Debian works slower, because I'm using unpatched Windows for audio that is connected to the Internet only when I'm bored and visiting only a couple of trusted websites, usually forums. :wink:

OTOH, who would hack me? Why? :rofl: But it sounds reasonable to get the Internet OS patched, anyway. Just for the sake of peace of mind. I suppose.

10. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Does that mean that coffee lake (or whatev) chips are affected? OMG. Was just about to build w/ that. Doh. Glad I'm lazy af for once. When are the next (ice lake?) chips out, anyone know, cos i rly need to build & don't want reboot bugs et al... Damn. Still might bite the bullet & stay offline. Dunno if this is even an option, tho...