Magix files for insolvency

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by tzzsmk, Mar 27, 2024.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Magix, Producer of Vegas Pro, Samplitude, Sequoia, SoundForge (and others) Files for Insolvency
    March 5, 2024

German software producer Magix (...) based in Berlin but also operates subsidiaries in the USA and Canada, has filed for insolvency.
    According to their press release, the company comprising 200 employees, intends to sustain their operations until a new investor is secured. They aim to finalize a deal within the next two to three months.
    Magix, which is known mostly for their Magix Video deluxe and VEGAS Pro NLE applications (which it bought from Sony in 2016), as well as their Music Maker software, has reported that revenue fell dramatically from thirty-two million Euros in 2021 to twenty million Euros in 2023. A complex product portfolio in the last years has mostly been blamed – this has led to confusion amongst customers.
    This complex portfolio not only confused customers but also led to problems in product development, harming core products and their features. The company also blamed the slow adaptation of cost structure and a failure to use modern e-commerce methods for their problems. It has announced restructuring measures – which usually means layoff of personnel – in the near future.

https://www.zri-online.de/aktuell/z...strukturierung-der-magix-software-gmbh-77646/
    https://www.cined.com/magix-producer-of-vegas-pro-files-for-insolvency/
    https://www.videoaktiv.de/magazin/m...waltung-fur-berliner-software-hersteller.html

(ps: mods - not sure which forum thread this belongs to, it's most relevant for Samplitude users I guess though)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 6
    • List
  3. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Oooo fuck!

Sure, they acquired a lot of shit, most of which is not for me. But Jesus Harry fucking Christo if Sound Forge is left adrift!

That's one tool I really need, I use it for all of my sample and other audio editing, basic mastering (you know, previewing shit), trimming, doing fades, sequencing track orders and then final rendering to preferred formats.

I can't even remember when I ran into it, it was some "lite" version that came with something, back in the Windows 98 times. Then I upgraded to full and been on autopilot since.

I've tried others, like back in the day Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition), Wavelab, etc. etc. but while they're good (and in other ways, better), Forge is just built into my muscle memory. I'll use it till it dies (or I die) I suppose, but it would be sad as hell to see it atrophied to shit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I've used SoundForge since 2005 perhaps, but then gradually moved to Reaper (which I started using back in the day I left Sonar primarily) and it turns out Reaper can fully replace all my SoundForge workflows while being even faster and also Mac compatible eventually (I can also easily swap audio files between Reaper and SoundForge while containing embedded markers and metadata), hotkeys for muscle memory included...
    :yes:

5. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Sonic Foundry(Sound Forge, Vegas, Acid)

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Sound Forge and Samplitude were the 2 first PC audio programs I really learned. This club promoter offered to pay me a brand new boxed copy of Samplitude and Soundforge 4 instead of cash for a 1 hour mix. So I took the software licenses instead. I used them both for many years, but when I switched back to Mac I could not find nice working copies of them. So I felt exactly like you do about it. I eventually found a good copy of Soundforge, but it wasn't really the same as on PC. I got forced to adapt and learn new software to do the same things. And I'm glad I did. Long story down memory lane, but my point is; you'll get over it a lot faster than you might think. I don't even use a wave editor for 99.9 percent of stuff.

7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I know, I know. I used a Mac for a couple of years and used (the creatively named) Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering. But they were bought by Røde and I don't know what happened for them because don't use it anymore. They also had a good iOS version but that's long gone.

While Forge will work for a long time, something will happen (say, update to VST or ARA standard) and it will be left behind unless Sonic Foundry is actually making money or someone buys it from MAGIX... but they might move to another direction or something.

And of course linear DAWs (like Reaper, Cubase, Logic, Cakewak) are good for multitrack editing etc. but I like a dedicated editor to one task.

Oh well, here's to hoping nothing bad happens from this move.

8. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

I always wanted to buy Magix essentialFX but they never offered it for a reasonable price. It's a really good bundle of basic effect of above-average quality coded by DSP guru Sascha Eversmeier.