MacOS Sierra. I Made the Jump.

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Davey Jones, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I made the jump. Didn't back anything up or really worried because I don't care too much.
    Here's what works for me on my Mac Mini (late 2012):

DAWs: Ableton Live 9.6.2 and Logic 10.2.4 (scanning was a pain though), Maschine 2.7 (if you count that as a DAW).

Plugs: Omnisphere works, so does Kontakt 5.6, Massive, Sylenth1 (via 32 Lives...which works), my Waves stuff works, Blue Cat Audio Patchwork works, I heard some of AIR's stuff was weird but it works fine. My Arturia plugs are fine in Ableton. Some failed validation in Logic. Xfer Records stuff works, Spire, and Nexus. That's what I tried thus far.

Hardware: My RME Babyface didn't need any driver updates. It works fine, my Maschine controller works and my Akai Pro Advance61 works.

FYI, I upgraded blindly because I don't make any money off of music currently and I can't find much information online besides how the beta worked.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Sully

Sully Newbie

Thanks for the insight, I generally stray away from updating my OS as it usually causes a shitstorm that takes me weeks to re-organize.

Anything particularly "wow" pop out to you in Sierra or nah? Any blinding new feature?

4. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Thanx for the info man.Usually the OS is ok but all the plugins need to adapt.Then happens what @Sully says.A few weeks to get things back to normal, so now i'm only using Sierra in a partition.

5. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'm planning on holding out until at least a point-one update, although I hear it's only a couple of plugins that are really having problems (and I'll definitely be doing a full TM backup before upgrading). Surely, it couldn't be more of a mess than upgrading from Lion to El Capitan.

6. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

I've installed sierra in a external hd and I'm currently installing everything in my spare time. Hopefully by the next update I'll have everything up and running. And for once in my life I'll install only the stuff I use

So far so good.

7. Raffz

Raffz Member

Sorry to revamp this topic but I have tried 32lives (k'd version) in Sierra and it failed miserably, crashed validation of everything that I ressurected in Logic X, even tho it displays the hexwars register (so I assume it's not revoking the license?) so I'm not sure if it's cause version 1.0.6 does not work in Sierra or if there is a fix that I'm unaware of, would really appreciate some help :wink:

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Just buy Silenth1 or start using Hive and move on. 32-bit is a thing of the past. At this moment there isnt' a single 32-bit plug worth bridging.

9. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

People still use Mac?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

:rofl::rofl:
    :suicide:

11. lephante

lephante Newbie

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Did You break Your leg ? :hug:

13. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Hum... a poll of 2014, in a universe of the 2% of the people that owns a Mac....

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

15. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

thanks for letting us know,
    it's nice to have some feedback.

I've upgraded mine ( MBP mid 2010 ) on a hardware level, but still on mavericks, and I see no hurry to upgrade so far.
    I think it will wait for my next mac
    :mates:

16. saltwater

saltwater Guest

on sierra since first public release, no problems

17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Only thing not working is Eventide k'd stuff (Omnipressor, Blackhole, H3000 Installers don't work)

18. Creme

Creme Kapellmeister

may i ask you what instaler did you use for omnisphere, when i try instaling the plug from scratch it keep failling at the very first instal.
    my instaler is the very first Team Air from 2008 with all the dvd

Spectrasonics.Omnisphere.v1.0.VSTi.RTAS.AU.PC.MAC.DVDR.D6 €

usually i simply instal the plugin (not the library) then i apply all the updates. then i move my library on the new computer.
    here it fail directly from the first instaler.
    as i basically jump from yosemite to sierra i probably miss something.. if you have the name of the installer, (i think it could be really helpfull)
    thx in advance.

19. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

actually, I did try it also last week but I finally downgraded back to mavericks.

on Sierra, I was losing a lot of bundles : eventide, brainworx, tone2, soundtoys.. not to mention pro tools 10..

I've also tried to install windows with bootcamp, but on my mac ( mid 2010 , 13inch ) oh boy, such a pain in the *ss :woot:

so, eventually restored the latest 10.9.5 with time machine ( painless and working really well, I have to say ) and "back to normal".

the so-called "improvements" with Sierra are not so useful in my opinion (at least with my configuration)

another thing : I have the latest FL Studio, which was supposed to require 10.11 at least, but so far I didn't experience any graphic-glitches
    as it was the case with one of their latest alpha version.

:mates:

20. groove

groove Kapellmeister

Ya people use it a lot if you are professional and not waiting only crappy cracked release mate....

21. groove

groove Kapellmeister

you can jump into high Sierra with no problem too perhaps with Ableton 9,7 for smooth work... but all work...