macOS 11 Big Sur

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by D-Music, Jul 8, 2020.

1. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

does anyone else in this, um Big Sir thing have problems installing audio drivers?

2. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

What driverS? Unless you use an external Audio Interface, macOS uses only one audio driver - CoreAudio.

Are you refering to USB Drivers for Interfaces, maybe? They have to be updated by the manufacturers of course. I am running Big Sur beta 10 for testing with a focusrite interface and didn't run into issues yet.

3. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Just get the latest updated drivers. I had the same issue for control of the on audio interface DSP, however CoreAudio itself never stopped working and I was never unable to stream multichannel audio to or from the device.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

CoreAudio, aka a Windows User's wet dream of stability and reliabilty ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'd be a lot more worried about the fact that nobody still knows (four operating systems in!) how fucking APFS works. TechTools Pro 13 no longer defrags files or volumes, unless they're HFS+, and no longer rebuilds directories for APFS drives (clicking on "Rebuild Directory" is pretty much the same thing as running Disk First Aid). Double goes for Drive Genius and Disk Warrior -- two apps that really don't work at all with APFS. Developers aren't being supplied APFS information and can't properly write utility software for it. That's pretty much why everything on later OS's is running like shit. There's no stability because nobody knows what the hell they're stabilizing. Does APFS magically heal itself?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

I had to update the Focusrite mixer/driver package for my Clarett Pre2 after upgrading to Mojave because post-upgrade it was weirdly recording in mono but installing the latest drivers fixed it immediately. It was fine after I did the same to Catalina though but it does happen. That was a Thunderbolt interface though.

7. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

You don't need to defrag APFS drives. Unless you run your drive 90% full (which you shouldn't) then it shouldn't be a problem.

A quick google will get you in detailed info as to the major differences between APFS and Windows file formats and explain better than I can why this is the case.

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

APFS is filesystem designed for SSDs,
    SSDs by design absolutely don't need any defragmentation, and handle data I/O on their own, using technologies like TRIM to do so,
    since Apple is solely using SSDs now (as far as I know), discussion about disk utilities to handle defragmentation and such are effectively obsolete
    :chilling:

9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'm glad you mentioned this, I'll research more. I seem to remember people saying this about non SSD's not needing it either but Disk Warrior has saved me so many times. I've had my SSD mac run into disk issues that normally Disk Warrior would have repaired. Would be nice to have even if it's snake oil.

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

APFS is somewhat self healing on SSDs just get familiar with fsck.

No modern OS will give you unfettered access to move files around as you want on a mounted drive anymore and APFS and Ext4 are even more sensitive to outside tampering from 3rd party apps because of permissions. If you can't fix it with fsck, hdutil or move it with ddrescue you just can't fix it. This is by design as for security reasons it was preferred for the data to be unrecoverable when the correct security descriptors or permissions were not present.

11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

on top of that, since Catalina, MacOS actually creates 2 virtual dynamic partitions (actually 5 volumes) within APFS container - one is user-read-only system, and second is "data"
    https://www.macworld.com/article/3451363/why-you-might-see-a-new-data-disk-in-catalina.html
    more thoroughly explained here:
    https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/working-apfs-volume-groups

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Yeah it confused the shit out of me when I upgraded my Mac Pro from Mojave initially as it moved all my folders from / into an area in my user directory.

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Long time ago I discovered the "1 year rule" in the computer world. Like, don't buy any components that aren't at least one year on the market, and even then you might encounter some bugs and have to wait for a driver or BIOS update. For software, that rule can get much longer in some cases, depending on the developer. But we would get nowhere without early adopters, eh? They help to get rid of the bugs and polish the product.

Actually, I think that rule have become a 2-3 year rule lately. :(

Cheers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Very good one, and so fitting in this shityear :rofl:

15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

And that's one of the reasons why the old patch by ssh for ilok 1 plugins no longer works. I mean you could still replce the file but then the app store and some other apps no longer work.

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

so what do we choose once we can't hackintosh anymore?
    Mac Mini ? nope
    iMac ? nope
    MacBook{Pro} NO!
    MacPro ? to much $$$
    alternative ?

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I don't expect Apple throwing away MacPro just yet - as long as at least one high-end Intel-based Apple system is alive, hackintosh remains real thing;
    what's more concerning is the actual Apple Silicon ARM chip potential performance and efficiency, because well...THIS:

18. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

i/OS/X and i/OS/X native apps have always been very efficient.

That's just proof of how shit inefficient & shit Adobe is. There are other comparisons of native Intel iMac OSX FCP beating Adobe Premier on a maxed out PC, but Premier vs Premier on both OS platforms on x64 Intel the PC was faster as expected. When you factor in the cost of Premier vs FCP (if you are actually paying for stuff) the Apple makes more sense. It is how they have been making their money in the film/video/post industry.

19. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Not to derail, but why doesn’t Apple or Windows offer stripped down Audio/Video versions of their operating systems for creative professionals? I’m so sick of all these updates. All they ever to do is break workflow & previous capabilities/integration of 3rd party applications/plugins. Until I can say “Hey Siri, trim to zero crossing at the start of all selected audio regions” or “Hey Siri, track selected color with a margin of 5 pixels from marker 3 to 15 & render with 20% opacity.” I’m left frustrated by every new instance of an OS...

20. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

This is the answer