Mackie Ultramix

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by digitaldragon, Oct 12, 2016.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Man what luck! I hope!

Just got a steal on a Mackie 24 track 8 bus mixer and my friend threw in a Mackie Ultramix along with the patchbay.

It doesn't have flying faders, but I'm hoping this thing will make some of the volume automation, and effects send automation that I'm doing easier.

I've got the MIDI implementation chart, now to figure out how to get this thing talking to Sonar. I know it's not designed as a control surface, and I really don't want to use the ultramix software, so I hope I can rig this up as a simple control surface. If not, I suppose I'll be using TouchDAW.

Anyone out there have any experience with this thing? Just wondering if anyone has used it as a DAW Automation controller, and has any tips to share. I'm hoping to hole up in the mixing room tonight and give it a whirl.

3. digitaldragon

upload_2016-10-28_11-5-48.png

Here's what it looks like.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

No insight to offer. Just coming to say that thing looks pretty cool

5. digitaldragon

From what I'm reading, the VCA's are decent in it. It may integrate nicely with my HD192 and this new Mackie board. You run the channel inserts into the patchbay, and the volume gets changed there. I've got several old XP machines I may dig out of mothballs, install Ultramix, and do a half ITB, half OTB mix on it and compare results to the complete ITB version. But that's future experimentation.
    Right now, I'd just like to get it setup as a DAW controller taking the MIDI CC info and recording automation within the DAW.
    Got this over three weeks ago, and haven't had opportunity to play with it yet which is killing me with suspense!

6. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Mackie fan here.I like this ,though flying faders would help a lot with automation.If you are working on large projects (in duration) it really matters,but in a 3 minute song, it should be ok i guess.

7. digitaldragon

UPDATE: Finally got back to the cave this weekend, and got to install the new board and play a little bit with setting up the Ultramix. IT WORKS!! So easy to set up. I haven't played with creating a Control Surface Preset for it yet, but I was able to Learn the CC's for track volume control, and master volume control. Should also be able to use some of the push buttons for automating mutes and such as well. It'd be cool to get the transport functions working. Oh well, off to research how to do custom control surface presets in Sonar.

8. digitaldragon

Just thought I'd throw another update out there.

I've used this to record some automation and it works great! I've used it on volume tracks and bus sends so far. As @Producer says, flying faders would be a big plus, but when I factor in the cost (free) it's hard to beat this.

I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone comes across one of these, there's a post out here saying it's still a useful piece of equipment even without the old computer and the software.

They guy that gave it to me said he bought it, but could never get it working which was why he threw it in with the 24 track board.

I've still got to see about making a Control Surface Preset for it, once I do, I'll update again.

9. Yusef

Yusef Newbie

Peace. You have the software and cables with the system? I have a 32 Ch desk I'd like to pair with an Ultramix I just found out it existed today lemme know thanks in advance. Peace Love & Safe Travels