Mackie Baby HUI for S1 + other DAWs - opinions? good or not?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Producer

I have been looking at one of these as a possible small controller for my DAW and for hands-on feel when mixing. Not many videos on YouTube, but what is there looks good and obviously Mackie stuff is built like a tank, solid and reliable usually.

Is this a good device? Anybody using one? And would I be ok using it with Presonus Studio One on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit machine? I would use the MIDI ports on my MOTU 828 interface to connect it up. I am considering this, even though it's a bit older, as it's mint condition and will only cost me £125, less than a third/quarter the cost of a PreSonus Faderport 8 or Behringer X-Touch.

Watching this is making me feel like it would work well and it looks quite compact and feature-full for the mixing essentials. The only missing bit it the ability to control sends with the top right buttons, but I'm sure by now with Studio One 3 it's probably able to be mapped.

Grateful for any advice, thoughts or opinions!

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I have a mackie control universal that I bought from a fellow producer for $100 (the old one with midi no usb). He got a protools mixing desk and didnt need it anymore. It works very well with ableton and reaper using the hui protocol. Unsure about s1 but HUI is HUI. I press a button and the plugin parameters are mapped across the top knobs. Having a jog wheel is really nice too. The touch sensitive motorized faders are nice for mixing but I still find myself tweaking it in the DAW to get it exact (the OCD in me). Like I'll use it just to get a rough mix.
    One thing to note, the P&G faders do go bad and the replacements are hard to find now. I paid 40 bucks each for 2 replacement faders from mackie in 2010. Now they are really scarce

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

As I am Russian, I will never buy anything with word like HUI.
    HUI [khooi, khui] means dick,cock...
    Now imagine, what the phrase "Baby HUI" means...Not so cool... And not serious...terrible..

5. Bunford

Bunford Producer

Technically, it doesn't have the word HUI. HUI is an acronym for Human User Interface, so is not actually a word if we are being pedantic :)