Macintosh is going downhill..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TruBlood, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I dont care what OS or hardware (pc/mac/hackintosh) Im using. As long as I have Ableton and REAPER the rest is irrelevant.
    Something Ive noticed over the years. PC users can get on a mac and make it work for them. Most mac users (not all) get on a windows machine and just complain about it. Im beginning to think its not the hardware.
    Like an earlier a poster swore off pcs beacause of Sony, some of the worst laptops made. Bad drivers and harware, touchpads and optical drives failing left and right. The Vaios were made to appeal to mac users. Go figure, lol Maybe he should have done his homework before snatching up the shiny sparkly thing. Salesman probably saw him coming a mile away.
    Sony has had all their R&D in the TV division for over a decade and are cutting corners everywhere else. Viaos?, lol what a piece of crap those things were. So many cheap touchpads failed on those units, but it had a plastichrome bezel and was shiny. Looked real pretty though, if thats your thing.
    I have my onboard soundcard shut off in bios. I make content, not rip youtube videos. System audio goes out the hdmi to the big screen and DAW audio goes to the fw audio interface

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

Tell a PC guy to to delete an app on OSX and watch what happens lol. Let's be real, well over 50% of people on both sides are computer illiterate.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

LoL, Drop it on the zap it app? That lazer gun alias? You are right, I see it everyday in all areas of computer use. They only know how to use their apps and not much else.
    Its more than likely being out of their comfort zone and having to actually learn something new I guess.
    But for me its different, I love to learn. Im always skimming tutorials bookmarking the juicy bits. I read manuals and pdfs to fall asleep. My fellow producer friends have dubbed me "Enginerd"

4. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

so true.. and there was no shortage of reviews panning these things going back probably a decade.. if you did some
    due diligence you would know that.. I looked into buying one.. but it had a lot of demerits, so I thankfully never wasted
    my cash ...

the whole discussion comes down to finding the features you really want in your hardware, and then choosing one or the other
    OS, never going to be happy with all the elements of either... You probably are going to find fault
    with any suggestion given to you anyway, a tedious experience for all concerned..

if you are going to spend the money for a nice box/laptop
    you owe it to yourself to gather as much info as you can..and make your decision..
    if it's not the best one.. ? better luck next time champ.. !

amazing isn't it...? with the largest library of info humankind has ever had access to,
    right at your fingertips, with commentary no less, and people still can't be bothered
    to seek out their own answers to relatively simple matters... :yes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ned944

ned944 Moderator

I think Apple would be surprised if they came out with a windows version of Logic again. I think there would be a lot of people that jump to a different architecture. could be wrong but I don't believe so.

Then again I like using my iPAD, field recording on the fly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I actually had no idea who she was or what she contributed to his (arguably best) work until very recently when I read an interview with her in Tape Op magazine. I think she was the only woman in his studio he didn't end up sleeping with. I always assumed he did everything himself, including the recording and engineering side.

I think anybody who's serious about doing anything on a computer needs to educate themselves on different operating systems. My first computer, waaaaaay back in 1990, was a DOS machine, which I traded in for an Amiga 500 (AmigaDOS still being probably the best OS ever made), which I then switched out for a Mac Classic, then, the Intel Macs, etc. I also work on PCs all the time, so I'm familiar with Windoze XP through 10. I'd also like to mess around with Linux, even if it's the Libertarian Party of OS's. I don't think you can live in a bubble where you say "I only need to know Windoze" or "I will only ever work on Macs", because it's not a very realistic world view. And I agree: there are plenty of self-professed "computer experts" out there that can't actually do anything on a computer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. ned944

ned944 Moderator

Shiela E.

She was his drummer for a while in 89 and the early 90's til about 92

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

My reply was actually a joke; he also never slept with Lisa Coleman or Wendy and Susannah Melvoin, who were with him since he formed "The Revolution".

10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

He seriously never bagged Sheila E. ? commonnn... :hahaha:

guess he had more "scruples" than he let on.... just heard the intro to Doves Cry
    this morning... had to chuckle at how creatively different and weird it still sounds..
    no doubt the man was an original

what was the topic again.. oh yeah Macwars...

11. G String

G String Rock Star

I doubt Prince put his purple bits anywhere near Mavis Staples. Just a hunch. I don't have the inside track you folks do.

12. ned944

ned944 Moderator

I was just referring to her talent mostly and the scantily clad comment. No idea whether he slept with her or not. :)

13. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Also probably not Chaka Khan. Probably.

14. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

oh man.. when she was young talk about baaaad a**** smokin'
    and of course an amazing voice...

can we just hijack the topic now.. much prefer the female artist talk.. :hillbilly:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

She still looks pretty damn great. Still sounds pretty damn great, too.

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Women are literally awesome.

17. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

women also are figuratively awesome

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

...not to mention how emotionally awesome they can be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. JohnEncore

JohnEncore Ultrasonic

I’ve been working with Macs since 1990 after horrible experiences with DOS (Windows)-crap (the hardware was o.k. but Windows was and is completely fucked up with bugs). But I have to admit that the times when Apple produced pro machines is over since about 15 years. And yes: a modern mac looks and feels like built for kids - all true. But: Macs do work - even modern macs do. And they work for long time, my MacBook is perfectly operating since 2010 (every day …).You have to change many of the standard preferences of course (you can turn off the pop ups for example). The problem with MacBooks is that they contain 2-core processors only - this may sufficient working with HD video editing and/or 96 kHz audio real time audio processing difficult. I’m working with a 2012 made MacPro with 12 cores – no problems at all. And my 2006 MacPro works until today, 10 hours a day except weekends. I just had to change the hard disks from time to time.

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

And Apple led us all to believe that the intel/mac venture was giving apple exclusive access to the latest/fastest/more cores processors. Who knows, maybe theyll wake up and make something for all the professionals and surprise us next year with machines that actually have muscle. (and ports)