Macbook Pro Retina S.M.A.R.T Failure

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by globalpeace, Feb 4, 2016.

1. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

What should i do? Should i buy replace my hard drive? :sad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Search for a program called HDD regenerator, download and install it on another computer, put your Macbook's hard drive into that computer, try repairing the drive, if you can't, get a new hard drive.

4. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Thought the new mbp internal drives were soldered to the motherboard... If so, you're pretty much screwed.

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

that's impossible, and if it is true, then that's another reason why should i hate apple, and never buy their stuff...

6. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

It's not possible to connect my MBP hard drive to another computer unless i remove it from motherboard.

7. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Mine is Late 2013, and Ifixit shows the possibility of replacing the SSD.

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

that's why you should never buy a retina macbook, everything is soldered, upgrading/replacing is near impossible unless you go to a mac repair centre.
    BTW your SSD drives are too full, because of this the wear is going a lot faster then when you leave 25% empty, which is recommended

Don’t Fill Them to Capacity

You should leave some free space on your solid-state drive or its write performance will slow down dramatically. This may be surprising, but it’s actually fairly simple to understand.
    When an SSD has a lot of free space, it has a lot of empty blocks. When you go to write a file, it writes that file’s data into the empty blocks.
    When an SSD has little free space, it has a lot of partially filled blocks. When you go to write a file, it will have to read the partially filled block into its cache, modify the partially-filled block with the new data, and then write it back to the hard drive. This will need to happen with every block the file must be written to.
    In other words, writing to an empty block is fairly quick, but writing to a partially-filled block involves reading the partially-filled block, modifying its value, and then writing it back. Repeat this many, many times for each file you write to the drive as the file will likely consume many blocks.
    As a result of its benchmarks, Anandtech recommends that you “plan on using only about 75% of its capacity if you want a good balance between performance consistency and capacity.” In other words, set aside 25% of your drive and don’t write to it. Only use up to 75% of your drive’s free space and you should maintain ideal performance. You’ll see write performance start to slow down as you go above that mark.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Yes, better replace it or have it replaced (iFixit is pretty geeky to my taste). You got Time Machine running (or another backup)? If not switch it on, today (that is if you wanna keep data in case of more failure).

10. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

Hopefully you spent the $220 (if you shopped around) on Applecare for a Macbook Pro as then Apple will fix it for free, as you are inside the first 3 years.

11. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

I suggest you to verify the s.m.a.r.t. status with disk utility in OS X partition or with the recovery. You can put your mac in target mode pressing the T key during the boot.

12. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

I know i shouldn't have bought it. Thanks for the information :bow: It really helped me. Thank you so much :)

13. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Took backup in 1TB external hard drive. it has 20GB Left :( I fear the same might happen to this.

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A.k.a planned obsolescence

15. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

No, I didn't get the CrapCare.

16. statik

statik Audiosexual

normal macbook pro are no problem, it's the air and retina that are kinda crappy, you need to buy them fully configured to your specs caus you wont be able to change any hardware after that, normal macbook pro doesnt have this problem ( i nearly bought a retina as well but a friend of mine who works at applecare advised against it)

17. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

18. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

You might call it Crapcare but I bet you wish you had bought it now....

Seriously, people berate Applecare but for Laptops & Desktops its a must buy in my experience.

I had a iMac's Logic board fail at 2 years and 7 months and Apple came out to my home, (which they will do if you live within 50 miles of the nearest Apple Store or service center) replaced the Logic Board and Graphics card (Normally $830 cost inc labor) all for the $159 cost of AppleCare for iMac.

I also had an SSD fail at 16 months in a newer iMac and again, no charge to come to my home and replace it plus they recovered my data from the old one and installed it on the replacement one, again, all for the one time charge of $159.

Finally I had a strange display failure on a 2011 Macbook Pro in 2014 and because they couldn't track down the exact cause after replacing several components and testing, they replaced the entire Macbook Pro with a brand new one with updated specs. That's $220 well spent in my opinion.

Yes, buying Applecare is always a bit of a gamble as you may never need it.. but if you do, given the cost of repairs these days, it usually is worth the outlay.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

@statik you can change the ssd - they are just screwed in. problem is they are a proprietary design so no one other than OWC makes alternative drives.( And with 2014/15 models no one makes them)
    I know it's annoying that they aren't the same as normal drives like the old MBP, but things have got to change eventually (floppy disks dvd drives etc no one really missed them in the end). and I actually quite like the slimmer lighter profile of the newer MacBooks. My old 2009 one seems hilariously "large" now (even though it still works perfectly!). But to kind of contradict myself I think the soldered in ram is b&llsh&t.

20. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

yeah FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

21. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

actually my AppleCare was free!