MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) 15" haptic feedback not working on trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Vincent Price, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello,

This morning I spilt liquid over one of the speaker grills on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) 15". I opened up the the MacBook to check if any liquid had managed to seep through to the inside, but could not see any.

While I had the back open, I decided to give the insides a clean, getting rid of any dust that may have gathered.

I have done this many times before and, as usual was most delicate and careful about it.

Then I put the lid back on and screwed it down, picked up the MacBook up and heard a loud crack or click. When I started it up, logged in and got the the main screen I found that my trackpad wouldn't give haptic feedback.

The trackpad recognises that I am moving my finger around, and moves the mouse accordingly, but I cannot press down to get haptic feedback.

Has anyone had this issue?

I have tried resetting the SMC many times, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I am wondering if southing has been dislodged without my knowing, or that the cable connecting the trackpad is broken or that the trackpad itself is f****d...

When ringing a repair store up I was quoted between £100 - £200, the person I was talking to almost certain the trackpad itself was f****d...

With the trackpad still recognising my finger movements, I do not think the trackpad is f****d and I am hoping that it is either something I have unknowingly dislodged or that it is the cable that is broken.

A full professional repair / replacement of the trackpad is definitely something I can do without right now as I am on the verge of my first house move and can do with the money.

If anyone is able to help with this that would be brilliant, if it is something I can sort myself with some advice or guidance even better!

Thanks

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Usually when a connector to anything is broken, you normally see complete malfunction of that component; not partial. Obviously this doesn't apply to wiring harness type connections. But laptop trackpads are built to handle a lot of wear and tear. You probably do not need a new one unless you crimped/damaged something when you reassembled it.

You have made sure it's not caused by software? stuff like this: https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-fix-macbook-trackpad-not-working
    I know since you heard it make a noise, it's probably a physical issue; but just ruling out any stupid software settings first may be easier for you.

Depending on the actual liquid you spilled (sugar), it usually sticks whatever parts together and if you force them apart by moving them, you will often hear a clicking like that.

You will probably have to take it apart again and see if anything is out of place. You should ALWAYS take "before" pictures any time you disassemble something complex to attempt repair. If you cannot see anything wrong/damaged, take a few pics of it and upload them somewhere.
    I did have this happen once with an Asus netbook I was fixing for someone. I never really figured out what was wrong, but after dis/assembly a few times it just "was suddenly fixed" after one try.

On a more positive note, I got the Apple Magic Trackpad to use over by my keyboards rack since it's inconveniently far from the DAW. It took a little to get used to, but I really like it now. You could probably get one second-hand pretty cheap. You could also always just connect a wireless mouse, no? My macbook's trackpad probably has 15 minutes total use on it, since I always use a mouse instead.

eBay is another option for the replacement part if you need it, but you can probably get a "for parts/junk" full laptop for the same prices you got quoted or less.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  4. Vincent Price

Yeah, I mean I have a lot going on at the moment, for the time being I’ll have to use the Magic Mouse…I have had a Magic Trackpad 2 in the past but never seen to get on with it for some reason

As soon as I get settled into my new house I’ll dig into the MacBook Pro and see what’s what.

As for the liquid it wasn’t there long enough to start sticking…it was milk

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Bovine or goat shouldn't matter.
    But if it was your own, you have simply lost some milk high in Colostrum.

Other trackpad problems arise because the battery is getting old and starts expanding.
    And it starts pushing on the trackpad which will slowly start acting stranger...

edited: with bold!
    I may shout it in a minute! lol

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  6. Vincent Price

Attached Files:

7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

How many times have you changed the battery?

8. Vincent Price

Since I got it, none…I bought it second hand.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

MacBook Pro A1502 keyboard and trackpad no function - easy repair!