Macbook Pro mid 2012 8GB or 16GB Ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by kenstowicz, Jan 10, 2015.

1. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

Im about to upgrade the Ram in my mid 2012 macbook pro haven't decided on 8gb or 16gb yet... just looking for recommendations for manufacturers. Id rather spend a little bit more $ to get something i know will work with my computer rather then buy from a company which my computer might not recognize. Right now I'm looking at Crucial
    Also is going for 16gb or ram overkill? I use Ableton live with a lot of cpu heavy plugins while also running stuff like reason, traktor, touch osc and lemur etc needless to say 4gb is not cutting it
    Thanks for any suggestions

3. javiawake

javiawake Noisemaker

i recommend 16 gb, because is sure that you someday will need it.
    My experience. At the begginning no problem. You work with only 4 or five tracks and you dont use several proccess at same time. Later you end downloading jdownloader, watchin tutorial on firefox and running 21 kontakt instances at the same time.

I have no doubt. This christmas i bought for my mac pro 2011 16 gb (before 8) and one SSD of 500 gb and i am really really happy.
    It looks a msc completely new. Before with 60 tracks ohh my god¡¡¡ i had to stop and drink some to calm my nervous¡¡¡ Now all is good.

Cheers¡¡¡¡

Ahh sorry my ram is kingston. No problem with compatibility. (2 pieces of 8 ram each one).

4. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Crucial is good; my Macbook is flying on it. Samsung is, too.

One can't have "too much" RAM. It's a question of how much your model of Macbook will accept. Some models officially accept up to a certain amount, but can be successfully upgraded to 1.5X or 2X that amount.

You may not need this advice, but the mid-2010 15" i5 Macbook will max-out with 8GB of RAM, whereas the 13" model maxes-out with 16GB, though is officially rated to max-out at 8GB. Such exceptions are noted in the specs given per model at http://www.everymac.com

5. angie

angie Producer

Last month I did what javiawake said, the mbp is reborn. Try to add an SSD... the biggest you can afford :wow:

6. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

crucial is highly reccomended

7. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

Thanks for the advice! On average id probably end up with like 20-30 Tracks sometimes more lol moderately processed i try to use sends/returns as much as possible. Its always towards the end of finishing a song that my computer starts to overload. Sometimes even when i bounce everything to audio thats still the case. I love j downloader 2, but i do have to bounce all my contact instances to audio which is a pain! i think the only reason I've survived this long on 4gb of ram is I put everything I can on an external hard drive (terabyte thats completely full to the brim) and have 200 gb of free space on my mac thanks again

8. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

Thank you! ya i have the mid 2012 macbook pro 13" so I'm good with 16gb even though apple "officially" rates it to max out at 8gb

9. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

I was in the same trouble when i buy it, i have decided for 16GB, best choice i have made, If you have the Retina as me you can't upgrade ram ;)

10. Dash3r

Dash3r Newbie

Personally in this case, I would save for only 8 GB's of RAM and add an SSD.