MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB or 32GB

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Vincent Price, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Jelly

Jelly Ultrasonic

Mixing with VST plugins - 16GB is more than enough
    Arranging/composing with VSTi - the more the merrier
    I doubt the RAM requirements will increase down the years for audio mixing, but macOS bloat is another issue

2. sunomorun

sunomorun Newbie

16Gb is ok for me,the internal ssd is so fast

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

32GB! If you go macbook pro go big.

Do you use Kontakt libraries, Nexus, Omnisphere? Plugins with large ram usage? Then 32GB, otherwise 16GB could be enough.

Which SSD are choosing? atleast 512GB i would choose.

4. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I have a MBPro M1 13 inch, Mac Studio, and iPad Pro M2.... with the new ARM CPU's get as much RAM as you can afford up front IMHO. The less RAM you have the more hard drive swapping the ARM does, thus the more it accesses the solid state drive. I can say from much experience on these new processors you want more RAM as these new ARM CPU's really are a CPU, RAM, GPU,and HD integrated system. 32GB RAM would be my recommended starting amount.... I went 64GB in my Mac Studio and it's my finest computer experiences, and I go back to the Atari 400 C64 days.

5. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

thats what I did when they first came out... but anything was an upgrade to my 2014 13" lol

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

storage can be extended by an external 2.5 inch 5TB HDD with USB3.
    But RAM isnt that easy and if you load bigger sample libs, then having the shit in the RAM will always be faster than having it on the SSD.

So i would try to find a balance btw storage and RAM. (32GB vs 512GB? i mean apple is still ridiculous expensive.)

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Exactly this. No laptop is going to have some massive amount of storage internally. You will always need an external drive for backup and storage purposes anyway. Insufficient RAM can affect the performance of your machine.

This one is easy.

8. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

Hi, I'm also looking to buy a new M2 Pro and I can't choose between the 16 and the 32 GB of ram. If you consider that unified memory is shared with the gpu maybe 16 is not enough. Is there anyone here with a M1 Pro or M2 Pro who can report personal experience? I'm not using a lot of Kontakt libraries and at the moment my MacBook Pro with 16 Gb has the memory pressure (activity monitor) always under control in the green zone but the graphic card is a Radeon with 4 Gb of ram not shared with the system.

9. axon

axon Member

In my experience 16GB is for most cases enough, at least for me ;) Sure if you have big sample libraries etc. then go for 32GB. But I can have a ton of plugins with 40+ tracks on my m1pro and it runs very well.