MacBook Pro M1 & Lacie SSD 2TB - Transfer Time

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Vincent Price, May 5, 2024.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

I am trying to transfer a 159GB file to my Lacie SSD 2TB from my MacBook Pro M1 and it is saying 5 days.

I tried it not long ago and it said 3 hrs, but even that is way too long for a SSD transfer.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it is doing this?

I am using Apple's Thunderbolt 4

The hard drive has had some issues lately where it won't be seen by the Mac if there are any peripherals plugged into the the Mac.

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Mauwurf

Mauwurf Noisemaker

Maybe there is a hardware failure with your lacie drive.

Try to check with some SSD Tools from Samsung or Western Digital to find out something about the Health of this drive.

Otherwise i recommend a Zike NvMe Enclosure with a 2 or 4 TB PCIe 4 NvMe Drive. Build it by your own.

The Zike Enclosure is the fastest Enclosure you can get out there at the moment.

I measured 3300 Mb/s in write and 2980 Mb/s in Read Speed.

4. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

which model is it?? (the ssd) cause it might aswell be a bandwith bottleneck if you take into account the amount of data you are trying to transfer (alongside what mauwurf said)

why? because the protoccols that are really crosscompatible are TB4 and USB4. USB3 is heavily limited and probably even more with such high amount of things

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

You should let it go and see how long it actually takes. Stopping it and starting it is not going to speed up the process.

What is the file you are transferring? How long have you let it do any of the transfer work? MacOS will guesstimate a large file like that, and the time to finish may fluctuate alot what it displays.

You could also be transferring something like Midi Files, where even though it is only 160gb of data; it's a million files. You could also be moving an Arturia plugin, and its million bitmap files.

I backed up a 90% full 4tb lacie external USB-C to another identical one recently and it took like 2 days. Well worth the wait.

6. Vincent Price

Well this is weird. Last night my Mac wouldn't see my lacie SSD. I've had to plug it into a Windows machine and pull all the data off it. This morning I wasn't getting anything. The lights were flashing but there was no activity on the Mac. When I tried to open Disk Utility it just came up with the loading symbol and didn't show any disks, not even the MacBook disk.

All of a sudden, the lacie ssd has burst back into life, with no idea why. It takes 3 second to show up on the Mac, but I am still suspicious and don't trust it.

One of my friends has given me his Sandisk 2TB SSD, but still I think I am going buy a spare SSD just as a precaution and backup samples

anyone else experienced this?

7. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

A faulty usb cable or usb port can do this. Which filesystem, exfat?

8. Vincent Price

Mac OS extended journaled