MacBook Pro 2015 15" Battery issues

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Vincent Price, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

Recently I have noticed I have been getting issues on my MacBook Pro 15" 2015.

When I have started it up in the morning, within a minute the screen goes blank, the trackpad still 'clicks' but there is no response from the computer...

This morning I was faced with the same issue, so I plugged it on charge to see if that would help...after a few minutes I got it back working again but for the battery to tell me I was on 1%. For quite a while it said that and then suddenly it's gone from 1% to 26% percent.

Due to its age part of me is thinking that the battery is on it's way out and is now giving me false readings.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I had a problem with my battery on a 2015, 15" mbp: The battery started to bulge enough to make the bottom aluminum plate bend.
    An exchange battery cost me about $80 and I did the replacement myself.
    I'm not sure if it's really the battery in your case, definitely try a NVRAM reset first and google other users' experiences with the 2015 mbp, you'll find a few :)
    Try to charge the battery until it's full, then watch how long it takes until it's completely discharged. Does it run down much faster than usual?

Should you really need to replace the battery, you have to be quite careful when doing that because the battery comes semi-charged with electronics and flat wires attached and it needs to be fixed with the included dual-sided adhesive tapes. If you don't push the battery cells into place strong enough then they may loosen at some point and cause new troubles, while pushing them too hard might destroy the cells or make them blow up again sooner than expected.
    If you accidentally make any shortcuts between the wires during mounting, the new battery (or rather the wires or electronics) will most likely be rendered dead immediately.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Right. Fiction has left you wonderful instructions to do this repair if you need to. Please do not try this personally. Get someone to help you with it. It isn't difficult.

"Shortcut" in the interaction refers to an electrical shortage. The amount of voltage discharged can be up to whatever is in the Pre-Charged battery (or more but let's simplify). Do you have a carpeted flooring anywhere in your house? Do you know how to discharge static electricity when doing a computer repair? Got a ruler handy?

If I were you, I would take the gamble and let Herschel Walker open my MacBook Pro first. He's good at everything these days and after today, won't have anything on his schedule.

5. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Who is he?

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Someone with less technical qualifications than anyone in the thread. And just the subject of a big joke.

Take a look at the case of your MacBook. You will see if the battery is swelling up, because the corner of the case may be separated slightly.

If you do not take the laptop anywhere (like I do), don't even worry about it yet. Just make sure when you are working on the computer, you have a power supply USB cord and wall/outlet adapter connected and it will not drain the battery to 0. You do not want to run a bad battery all the way down. It's also how batteries (in general), can develop "bad" cells.

You can get something like a "MacBook Arc", which is a little stand to hold your MacBook vertically, with it closed up. Then you run a USB-C cable directly out of the laptop into a Hub. This is by far my favorite way to work using a MacBook Pro. Add a Big monitor, a wireless bluetooth mouse and a similar keyboard. You can also add a X-Skin Logic keyboard shortcuts cover to the external keyboard and not stuck to your laptop keyboard. Until you memorize them.

If your MacBook is actually Thunderbolt 2 (bigger connector than 1 or 3), you need a Thunderbolt 2- to DVI or HDMI adapter to connect your monitor, if you choose to go the folded up route.

hope that helps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  7. doobie

doobie Member

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro and i had to get the battery replaced last year. i believe the 2015 15 inch models have a recall for faulty batteries.also , check your power supply, after i had my battery replaced my mac wouldnt charge for awhile so i kept trying to restore my OS beause my mac wouldnt charge and then i eventually figured out it was the charging box , so i bought a couple backup chargers just in case. heres this tho
    https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

That would work out perfect for him if it was part of a recall. A *Recall* is a specific circumstance, and it almost always involves a safety issue with the product. Even though a Failed Part or Component may be "Out of Warranty", the manufacturer almost always has to extend this repair to the end user regardless of age. Usually choking hazards for children or fire hazards/electrical
    If they are not a nice company like Apple is, you can still often get them to issue what is called a Policy Adjustment. It means they do the repair/replacement for free even though the unit made it outside of the time period they promised it to be defect free during. Even the most nasty companies will do this sort of repair and only charge the end customer for the labor to replace it. If that's the case you just saved this guy about 100 bucks,@doobie. and this is thread Best Answer :wink:

I'd take it to the Apple store and talk them into a free or low cost repair. It's also a great illustration of why I love Apple. They treat their customers with a little bit of class like giving us 200$ Logic if we buy their little computer. Your next computer purchase after this will be another Mac; or so they would hope. They can easily trace any component in a machine.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022