Macbook Pro 16" 2019 (with touchbar)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Vincent Price, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Hello

There is a very, and I mean very small chance I will be getting a new Macbook pro.

Currently using the Macbook Pro 2015 15" with 2TB SSD, I am finding due to its age it is now starting to become a liability, having its trackpad replaced a few years ago, and now it just having recently had it's battery replaced

I am looking at the 2019 16" Macbook Pro, but the place I will be looking at getting it from only do 512gb maximum storage.

Has anyone got this model and how does it perform for you, is 512gb enough for what you do or have you found yourself needing more storage.

I mean I have 2 Lacie 2tb SSD's which I can run external libraries off, for example, logic pro library, kontakt library, nexus library etc but while having the 2015 Macbook Pro with the 2TB SSD upgrade I did on it, I have kept all the libraries on the Macbook.

How many of you keep your libraries on an external SSD as opposed to on the Macbook

Thanks

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

perhaps better wait for M2 Pro release, so you could find M1 Pro cheaper?
    buying Intel MBP doesn't seem as good value anymore, even when prices dropped a lot recently...

4. The reason I am thinking intel also, is because of sotware on the sister site, not a lot is M1

5. Also, price is a factor as it won't be me who is paying for it.

6. DaFungusAmongus

DaFungusAmongus Ultrasonic

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.58.21 AM.png

I have no issues with this machine and its performance. I do keep all my Kontakt and SD3 libraries on external SSDs and everything runs smooth AF. I will be upgrading RAM to prevent from freezing Kontakt tracks as often.

Even with more plugs than I can use, I have plenty of internal storage available.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 12.01.00 PM.png

7. DaFungusAmongus

The only issue I have ran into is having to disable turbo boost when running Reaper. Otherwise the cooling fans try sending the MBP to outer space.

But Reaper is not my go-to DAW

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

crucial thing to look at is if the model you want to buy has a butterfly or scissor keyboard. the MBP's had a butterfly keyboard from 2016-2019 and, believe me, you really dont want one of those. the keyboard will start to fail after a while (6 months give or take a few), dust and such will get under the keys and keys will start repeating and at some point stop working completely. the models from 2020 and forth have switched back to the scissor mechanism. i have one of those models and it's annoying as hell, apple even has a repair program where they will replace the keyboard for free for up to 4 years after the warranty has expired. but this is not a lasting solution as these keyboards are just plain flawed. mine will have to go out for it's last repair one of these days. do yourself a big favor and don't buy these models.

these models you should avoid
    • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
    • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
    • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
    • ‌MacBook Air‌ (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
    • ‌MacBook Air‌ (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

link with more info on this issue

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Ram upgrade? which version have you got? the non touch bar?

10. Surely the fans can't be any worse than the ones on the Macbook Pro 2015 15". They really get going and are noisey AF

11. DaFungusAmongus

No, it's the Touch Bar version, but there's only 16GB

12. DaFungusAmongus

This is my first non-iMac comp, so I don't quite know how bad the 2015s were, but they are far too loud to use a hot mic in the same room.

13. Wait, so you're saying the ram can be upgraded?

14. DaFungusAmongus

Nope, no it can't. I was unaware of that until now.

15. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

What can't you live without and maybe we can tell you if it runs and can be obtain from the sister site?

I have an M1 Macbook Air, love it, quiet because has no fans, and runs Kontakt 6 and 7, no issues, runs Softube, SSD5, SD3 Toontrack, Voxengo, loads of free plugins, IK Multimedia, u-he, that from the top of my head.
    Logic Pro, Cubase, Reaper.
    Guitar Pro.
    Guitar Rig 6.
    Can't remember more.
    Adobe, Blender, idk.
    Compared to Windows, yeah, may feel still limited, but I don't think it will ever catch up, so you gotta learn to live with it.
    Had a 2015 Macbook pro (the best one) then switched to the current one, couldn't be happier.
    Have a PC for gaming, still, my fave is the Macbook, so responsive.

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

people hate the touch bar. my laptop stays folded up so it doesn't matter to me. get it with the max ram and the internal ssd and it will run everything.

17. I use kontakt, nexus, synthmaster arturia software. Native instruments software, waves audio plugins, izotope rx10 and ozone, audio lens, superiort drummer 3, amplitube, modo bass to name a few

18. unfortunately the place I am looking at only does 16gb ram and 512gb.

19. DaFungusAmongus

This is how I work with mine as well. stays folded up connected to a large curved monitor.

20. DaFungusAmongus

16Gb isn't terrible, but it would be nice to have more. I'd say that depending on the library, I can work with about 10 unfrozen tracks at a time. It's just the workflow that I have become accustomed to.

21. mrichi

mrichi Producer

More and more developers are finally doing universal code releases. Keep in mind that Apple is going to end support for Intel at some point.
    Licensed Logic users that do not have a supported system are already S.O.L...

I have been waiting to replace my 2014 Macbook not wanting to be a BETA tester. The M1 one systems are solid for the most part but, the pricing needs to drop. The M2 systems are a hard pass as Apple has not completed the Intel to Apple Silicon transition. Problems with the M!/M2 lineups. Late 2023 may reveal a more solid offering from Apple.

If you explicitly need a laptop, look for a good deal on a M! model rather than possibly buying some else's problems.