(Mac) Would regular wine-crossover have less audio issues?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by MokuseiFolf13, Jan 7, 2024.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Let me explain: not too long ago I was messing around with CrossGridder through CrossOver, and while it had behaved mostly well, I couldn't help but long for a more reliable and stable audio interface for my CrossOver bottle. I can confirm that it's a matter of the virtualized audio driverDirectSound emulation in CrossOver being notably atrocious even with basic audio playback: stuttering, hiccups, nasty dirty playback.

How I came to that conclusion was that I decided to install FL Studio for the hell of it, which it came bundled with its own ASIO driver... And wow. Virtually day and night, no filthy buffering issues up the wazoo, audio is mostly clean... Only problem now is that FX within certain programs kills the magic and calls back to the horrors that is DirectSound's sonic-nastiness.

What I mean is I was using Goliath in EW PLAY, and for the most part using the FL Studio ASIO audio driver it sounds nearly perfect, but once FX (reverb in my case) or any more complicated timbre is taken into effect, that jerkiness and those audible oddities come back, full force.

So thinking it's all over, I did hear with regular wine (via terminal ofc) has wineASIO through winetricks, which I have to presume knocks DirectSound and FL's ASIO driver out of the park, so I tried building the .dll and register it to CrossOver. No luck, freezes up all plugins and soft-synths. Either I didn't build the .dll properly, or such things weren't meant to be.

TL;DR: I basically want to see if I can use AudioGridder in regular terminal wine similarly to CrossGridder within CrossOver, and be able to use it in Logic.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Though I am not keen on replacing CrossOver entirely, feel free to provide some step-by-step guide on how to properly build wineASIO and install it into my CrossGridder bottle.

Good day.

3. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

I guess I gotta look into wineASIO. I pulled a bunch of old VST24/32 projects off an old archive disc, but could not get Cubase VST's audio to work at all (I'm assuming because it needs direct hardware access). My ACID Pro 2 bottle works fine, but that's using Windows DirectSound stuff.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Do you mean Windows Windows, or Wine Windows? Because of course DirectSound on a legit PC would works spectacularly! Heh. I'm trying to look into it myself, and apparently there's a prebuilt binary of WineASIO made for Mac from like 2014... So hopefully it isn't too ancient for Wine's liking.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

there is a thread on here, maybe you can find or i will look when i have more time, but the user was trying to do exactly what you are. Meaning, EW libraries and virtualization. Many people even report Falcon being clunky on their machines, and I think EW would probably be even heavier. no? Falcon uses mostly lossless flac samples. I haven't tried any of the EW titles, but Falcon is rather lightweight as an application on it's own. Roughly comparable with Nexus. I would not expect it to run better than Falcon, so your results are not really a surprise.

So there is that. But also, you are now trying to add a reverb on top of it. Reverb is one of the most heavy cpu use effects. That's one of the main reasons why we use reverbs on FX Sends so often. We can reverb effect many channels with fewer running instances of the reverb plugin.
    It's a cpu hit. Now you are trying to use a rompler/sampler, or even synth; which is creating the sounds being output from your EW plugin in realtime, and then sending it to a cpu heavy plugin which is also processing in realtime. (but obviously, not when you render). The latency will even be close to intolerable to play through, too. Printing stems is probably the most mileage i am going to get on my current mac. It's offline processing; so with stuff like this it just takes longer to render.

6. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Good point. In a perfect world, there wouldn't be iLok-- that way K'ers could upload Windows as well as Mac versions of UVI Falcon/PLAY 6 copies instead of having to tread 'round the bends and corners for something so simple lol. Right now I'm just trying to figure out an optimal setup for virtualizing all this stuff. But I'd like to mention I did finally manage to get WineASIO working in regular wine. I want to see if the came could be true of CrossOver. My machine isn't even that bad to take up the task, I've got a 3gHz Intel i5 in my 2017 iMac, so I'd have to assume wine has some parameters as to how much of the CPU is used, sort of like how some programs allow you to dedicate 2 or 4 GB of RAM for it to use, creating that deliberate bottleneck. So the virtual audio driver fiasco could only be part of the issue.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  7. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Taking a sit to learn. I am just trying to figure how to connect audiogridder bt macos and windows through paralallels:trashing:

8. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Parallels... Man I haven't heard of that program since my dad had to use XP on his Mac for his work. T'was a surreal sight to behold. I don't have the best knowledge of Parallels, but I might have an idea as to how that can go down. If you'd like I can probably send a DM on here and perhaps do my best to help out.