Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Giuby, Jan 2, 2020.

1. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Im using 2 motu haha.

Now just explain me how i could use those 2 motu with my TR-09 and my TR-08 at the same time on my DAW without an agregate device you sand box wizard ?

Aggregate audio is used on all the serious studio s i v been and trust me i know many....

Cheers ;)

2. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

As long as you have a solid Audio Interface with Full Duplex ASIO Drivers you can produce music on a windows maschine. If you don't Windows will make your life frustrating. The only good thing about windows is backwards compatibilty. You can run really old programs like Reason 4 without any issues on Windows 10. That's impossible on MacOS since it doesn't carry legacy code (because Apple wants you to buy their latest shit, but that's a different story).

I've been using Windows since 1999 and OSX since 2007. Once you go macOS for Audio you never go back to Windows. I've been Using a Hackintosh since 2013 with both macOS and Win 10 so I know what I am talking about.

So if you want to focus on creativity and don't want to worry about all the technical aspects of tweaking your system go with macOS.

3. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

:woot::hahaha::lmao:

4. Gyro Gearloose

or just use ableton live which can use multible by default

5. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Another sandbox wizard....

Maybe you can answer the question then ?

6. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

NOT AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!

My turn to ROFL with your ignorance ;)

7. Gyro Gearloose

you worked with win lites ?
    win is pure bloat

8. Gyro Gearloose

lol..yes you can...

9. Gyro Gearloose

its the only daw which can do that from my experience

10. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

There is NO DAW or NO single software that allows you to use more than one soundcard at the same time !!!

You clearly showed us your ignorance here !

Btw im using Ableton for more than 15 years ;)

11. Gyro Gearloose

sure mate ...i do not ignore...you do

its fact...one reason live is so expensive...
    you can use multible interface on several tracks on same time...
    other wise i would never say you could use multible interface in live...:deep_facepalm:

on each track you can have different interface...
    maybe not 20 , i dunno...but i used 2 interfaces at same time with live

12. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Man another time i own Ableton for more than 15 years

You cannot use multiples AUDIO interfaces at the same time on Ableton Live or on any software in the planet.

The only way to do that is to use an aggregate device.

And the only way tyo do an agregate device is to use MacOSx.

There is something called google try to use it someday ;)

13. Gyro Gearloose

but not sata interface you kno...i did use 1 usb interfaces and 1 firewire...or 2 firewire
    ---

14. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

The only way to do it on Windows is to use the MME driver or ASIO4all but it s buggy as hell, with huge latency and no proper clock, it s just unusable for decent multitrack live recording.
    It's not on the system level like it is on OSX with the agregate devices.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/a...gregate-Devices-and-multiple-audio-interfaces

Anyway i m tired to explain..
    Done with this thread.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. dingoday

dingoday Member

I mean what is there to tweak with windows? In MacOS you dont even dream of installing software because you know its not available, with windows you are temped to install it all and then at some point you realise you have too much :grooves:

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Did you read anything i wrote? I can't believe i have to write down what is basic audio interface knowledge. Can you understand how Multi-Device drivers from MOTU, UAD, RME (to name a few) work? Since it seems you don't, they allow the user to use multiple interfaces of the same company under the same driver and use all the i/o and other functions of the various interfaces simultaneously. The driver recognizes all supported interfaces. I will start with a "legacy" example (since MOTU has changed their entire line up to AVB/TB and USB products).
    The MOTU 424 pci, pci-x and pci-e cards have four proprietary input ports (which resemble firewire ports and cables do too but they 're not).
    Each port can support up to 24 i/o of 24bit/44.1 or 48khz or half for 96khz. These inputs connect to external MOTU interfaces which range from purely digital i/o interfaces to multiple analog i/o ones. Users can mix and match interfaces according to their i/o needs and can see and configure their available i/o within the MOTU driver's gui. The same config is available within any DAW that supports ASIO and users can be up and running in no time using such a setup. A similar system is used by the RME pci-e card and RME's various external interfaces.
    UAD TB interfaces can be cascaded under Thunderbolt, again users can mix and match to their preference.
    My MOTU system comprises of a total of 192 digital i/o and 32 analog i/o, spanned in 4 external interfaces connected to a pci-e 424. Of all available i/o, the system can use any 96 i/o maximum in sets of 8ch each. Important also is, that since already ~20 yrs now, affordable external A/D pres are available, so the sky's the limit to how many mics/instruments you can hook on such a system and that is without utilizing any physical audio mixer/console.
    To make it clear, with Windows and ASIO you cannot use multiple interfaces of different manufacturers. BUT, since every serious company that makes pro audio interfaces has their own universal multi-device driver, you can "choose your poison" and buy as many interfaces from the same company as their current tech allows you to use.
    Lastly, at 54 yo now that's 2020, i never thought i'd have to mention this, but i do have a degree in Audio Engineering by the University of Athens. So please spare me the petty remarks "of go and learn". Here, something for you to read (from 2003 lol):
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/motu-2408-mk3-24io-hd192
    Cheers

17. Gyro Gearloose

i see you fully aware of all the win audio drivers out there , from reading this article...:winker:

18. Gyro Gearloose

i used steinberg ur and edirol driver....
    tell mich which audio interfaces use asio4all ?

19. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Asio4All is garbage. It's a workaround driver for on-board soundcards that don't provide a a native ASIO Driver. The only reason why asio4all exists is because windows doesn't care about audio at all!

Last week I helped a friend of mine setting up his audio pc. He has a focusrite scarlett 2i2 interface since he is a hobbyist.

I was wondering why the hell audio was glitching out when lowering the buffer size. Then I realized he was using fucking asio4all and not the focusrite driver. I changed it and everything worked fine.

20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Not really true because:
    ASIO4ALL was never meant to be used with anything other than cheap Soundblasters and Realtek chips. As a purely cpu-based driver, it is totally depended on your comp's horsepower. Comparing this driver which was made by one person and given away for free with commercial drivers by major companies is just unfair, especially to its creator, Michael Tippach. At launch, around 2003 for the stable beta i think, it could manage to bring the latency down to ~10-15ms, which at the time was a breakthrough for the cheapo producers who didn't have money for an audio interface. You could hook a cheap keyboard to your midi over paraller port cable, and fiddle away with your 5 year old Celeron 300A and a 35$ Soundblaster with ASIO4ALL.
    You may think it's crap but i mixed & produced a whole album (prog house/tribal/trance) from a person who meticulously programmed it on a system such as the one i mentioned with Fruity Loops for DAW. And while the album isn't a masterpiece, it's definitely not crap. If inspiration hits the door there's nothing to keep a person from creating his heart's desire imho. But i digress here so...
    In absolute "numbers" you maybe correct, but you 're overly critical of a helping tool that never intended to be used professionally but instead provide a free means to utilize your onboard soundcard. Nothing more nothing less. And yes it can aggregate devices in Windows under its own ASIO too, which sadly can only be handy in a few situations, because of certain limitations and quirks since it relies on the existing system's WDM drivers.
    Cheers:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020