Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Giuby, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Junkie XL who make songs with 1000 tracks claims exactly the opposite.He says plugins are less efficient under Mac OS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

1000 tracks eh? Seems like guy's got plenty other issues having nothing to do plugin efficiency.

Besides, Buttcheekz_McDougal666, who reportedly makes songs with 5,000 tracks says just the opposite.

What I do myself, is split up all audio at sample level and put each segment on its own track then compress, eq, etc to taste!

sorry, couldn't help it. ;-D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. tun

tun Rock Star

dunning-kruger? :D

4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Junkie XL is right of course. MacOS scales a bit better than Windows when you have a low end spec'd machine. Like a dual core or older quad core with 4-8gb ram. Most fanboys rarely get a high end MacBookPro either so they end up admiring themselves for the "sane" choice of paying double for a pos pc that has an Apple logo but looks good nevertheless hehe. Worth mentioning for the Nth time is the Mac nowadays is just a pc with the only differentiating component in the form of a hardware dongle, the T2 security chip, soldered on the motherboard and built from Apple, which among other things, forbids any unathorized user from installing a new replacement mobo (Apple calls it logic board lol).
    On the upper end of the spectrum though it's about the opposite, Windows wins in multi-threaded performance. Especially when the machines are beyond Apple's spec which up to recently, you could only compare with Hackintosh machines. Still, Hackintosh is much more worth investigating than Apple products. After all, whatever "magic"(pun intended) differentiates pcs and macs, is in the OS not the hardware.
    Haha, sure. I guess your mate Butcheekz has scored loads of films like Deadpool, Terminator, TombRaider, Mad Max etc etc...
    Perhaps Buttcheekz 's studio looks like this too, right? :
    JXL1.jpg JXL2.jpg JXL3.jpg JXL4.jpg
    Your pun is a hit & miss mate. The Buttcheekz name sure is funny but the intent is not. And i mean i don't even particularly like Junkie's work. But he has a "blatantly loud" portfolio to be proud for, which your fictional character has none whatsoever.
    Cheers

5. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Yes,and Mac sound better too!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. fritzm

fritzm Producer

This is 100% B.S. I can't tell you how many times pc users troll mac only threads. I mean really, "Mac is shit." And that was in this thread.
    The thread title should be "Talent vs. no Talent." Because, that is all that matters.
    Oh, and 20% of computer users? I guarantee it is more than 20% in Music production. My confidence is in my talent, not what computer I use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

But Buttcheekz is Mark Mothersbaugh's peewee's playhouse memorabilia auctioning, custom bowling ball and all around lifestyle social media nom de plume

8. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

ah fukkit.

9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

cause operational theathers are bloated with stuff noon need ..but the dev needs to satisfi masses ....

these globals are so dumb...they could sell puters made for :web task ppl... grafics/architects and such....for photo ppl...for movie ppl...for audio ppl etc etc
    instead we get bloat puters for all...
    and some custom manufacturers making extra money

and both mac and win are no pro OS
    a pro OS would be there for 1 area only....and still can do all plain offtopic stuff apart

a pro OS would also have build in switch to turn not often used bloat on and off
    bloat is here just stuff whats not audio related

10. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Mac vs PC?

PC
    you decide the hardware specs hence you can built an upgradeaable Computer, Windows 10 is less polished that macOS

Mac
    Apple dictates the hardware, even tho it might be full of flaws, run hot or/and self and destruct
    macOS looks more polished than Windows and you don't have to worry much about virus stuff.
    (you dont have to worry about virus stuff on pc either if you don't install any shit you find)

In the end it is a matter of preference, and what you like to do with it. eg Studio One runs faster (GUI) under Windows,
    If you want Logic you need to get a macOS system.

At the momnet Apple do not offer any hardware I am interested in, so I would need to keep using hackintoshes.
    But I am tired to explain software developer that I run a Hackintosh when posting bugs, so I am using more and more Windows again ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Sorry guys, I'm not mad at this mac vs pc thread as a recent pc enthusiast. Can I ask the best way of how to keep a smooth running windows10? Is it to have only audio stuff loaded and disconnected from da net? I'm going minimalist because I love how it flies currently.

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

In short yes. The internet is not necessarily evil, if you don't mess with suspicious websites and also make sure you have disabled updates and blocked access to certain k'd apps (if you have such). Also if your comp is the only one you got, it makes sense not to make it a guinea pig, and from time to time make a backup image copy of at least your system drive and important files.
    May i suggest:
    Find some little money to make a super cheap but modern pc to test everything on it and mess around with internet and all else normal stuff like office and whatnot. AMD has a new 12nm cpu with integrated Radeon grfx, the Athlon 3000G costing ~55$. It's a 2core/4thread unlocked cpu @ 3.5ghz and it's made using the same architecture as the previous Ryzen series. Pair it with 8gb of DDR4 (30$), an ASRock B450M PRO4 (70$) and an Intel 660p 512gb (65$), add a Rosewill FBM-X2 case (which comes bundled with a 400w PSU) for 65$ and you got a full basic system that will be ultrafast for your simple everyday tasks for ~285$. You can even use it for home theater too, mobo gots you covered with HDMI out.
    Cheers :)

13. tun

tun Rock Star

:rofl:
    that was me. it was a sarcastic response to another person. you took that very much out of context. a lot of other people did too because of all the bad reactions hahaha

i am a windows user, but if you look early on in the thread you will see my genuine response.

14. fritzm

fritzm Producer

My bad, thanks for clearing it up.

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I'm not saying there aren't trolls that troll specific Mac related topics. The opposite is true too, I agree. Also agree about the talent part. I wrote the same thing earlier.
    I was talkjing about those specific MacOS vs Windows thread.
    Simply observing that the number of pro macOS reactions far outnumbered in percentage, the percentage of MacOS users (I made a mistake btw, it's not 20% it's 10% of the market). It's more than half the reaction in any of those threads. Even if we're generous and we agree that in the audio world there are more MacOS users (let's double the percentage and say 20%), it's surprising. I think the mac user really value his gig and wants to defend it. The basic PC user doesn't seem to be as motivated by it. It's by no mean an insult, a simple observation.

16. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

This is purely 100% troll and bullshits.

There are features on a mac espacially for audio that are just unavailable on Windows.
    this is nothing about beeing a mac or Pc fanboy but once you need those features you have no other choice than using a mac.

This debate is sterile and kiddish.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  17. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

This debate and the stupid coments are kiddish, Windows makes me eat i v nothing against it at all and trust me if i coud use it for music production i ll do it, it would cost me a lot less money.
    The thing is Windows just sux for music production once you need to agregate audio devices.
    Core audio is far more powerfull than the shitty Windows audio engine.

This is nothing about superiority but all about needs and features and that s what people will never understand.

18. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

See @fritzm ? Uneducated angry trolls are on both side of the fence.

19. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Where is the uneducated troll here ?

Talk me features wise get some arguments about why you r using that and why instead of trolling for trolling.

My goal is to use my tools to make music ;)

As i said Windows makes me eat man, i v nothing against it at all ;)

But we r talking music production here not buisness stuff...

20. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Man just relax a second and stay on topic. No one cares about aggregating devices when the question is for a newbie in audio production asking which laptop and OS would be more adequate for starting his venture in music. It's not about a specific feature. It's about cost, usability, ease to get access to softwares, etc. He's gonna get an audio interface, if so he'll use ASIO and will be perfectly fine with it if he choses the right manufacturer.
    I'm sure you want to just give friendly advice, but you come off as very angry, and calling people that disagree with your statement "stupid", "uneducated" really is uncool.