Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Giuby, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Charlomagne

Charlomagne Ultrasonic

I have been a user of both systems. Since Hard Disk Image restore software, crashes it is not a matter to consider. Mac hardware is more robust but too expensive IMO. And it is not necessary to think that one buys a computer for a lifetime. Don't "Think different", at the end...
    You should at least change your system every 5 years (more or less). Windows software it's easy to find...
    I will go for windows, but Mac are great, no doubt!

2. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

MacBook are not affordable, at least not if you compare them with a Windows laptop.
    At any price point you will always get more bang for your buck with a Win laptop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. fritzm

fritzm Producer

”MacBook are not affordable, at least not if you compare them with a Windows laptop”

They are where I live. In my experience, they last twice as long also. I understand they might be expensive in other countries. But where I live, you can find used MacBooks pretty cheap. I mean it’s all relative. I could go out and find a $300 pc laptop, but it would be junk. Anyway, do what you want. I run music computer labs for a living. I can tell you that the PC labs are way more troublesome. Sure, you can build the fastest PC in the universe and brag about it all day long, but the op said he was a newbie, if I remember correctly. So ease of use might be something to consider. The virus thing is another thing to consider. I’ve never had a virus on a Mac. lol

Yes, I worked for Apple for four years, but I left because of policy changes I had problems with. But their products for the most part are very good, in my opinion. I think it’s great we have choices. It would suck if we all HAD to use the same OS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tun

tun Rock Star

use what you know and like best.
    imo windows is more flexible and much cheaper, but mac can be more stable and user friendly

5. lancexx

lancexx Producer

Nobody will take you seriously if you bring a light up gaming laptop to a session.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

The most important is the songs you have inside the mac or the pc.Not having a tasty new mac and shitty songs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

when you buy Mac device, you are given MacOS with all its advantages and disadvantages, ability to run software which is exclusively available for MacOS, you get what you pay for and in my opinion the price is fair for what you get

when you buy a laptop, thanks to battery you usually don't need to worry about electricity delivery problems causing loss of your work, can work on the go, but are given limited performance due to thermal throttling due to cooling limitations, and lack of connectivity due to lack of PCIex ports, internal disk bays etc..

MacBook Pros are not cheap indeed, but people who complain about them being overpriced are sadly not capable of understanding hardware+software+AV world to properly evaluate their benefits

creative process is not limited by whatever platform you choose, only abilities and skills you may (not) have,

majority of software, plugins and virtual instruments are designed to work flawlessly on both MacOS and Windows (do note installers and plugin files are different, so you cannot simply cary around a stick and use it on both platforms!), and most of them don't require purchase of separate license for different operating systems

:chilling:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. [​IMG]

The reason Mr Spock can use every computer in the universe is that they're all running Windows.

9. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Apple OS is way better for 1 thing that you cannot do properly on windows ( and please don't talk me about ASIO4ALL...)

AGREGATE devices !!!!

If you only want to use one sound card at time then both OS do the job just fine.....

BUT ! Let's take the exemple you want to use a boutique device ( tr-09 or 08 ) + your audio interface or use multiples interfaces to create a big one and use it in your DAW, the only way to do this is to create an agregate device.

And only APple OS handles that properly.

That s why i couldn't live without macOS for music production until windows allows me to do that.

I use a tr-09 + a tr-08 + 2 MOTU 828mk3 at the same time without any glitch, impossible to do on WINDOWS.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Well r2r and VR vs cashmere ? Hard decision.

Just a joke from time to time I have to take my profile picture serious.

2020. Win is the way to go. 10 years ago I would have told you something different.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. A Ghost On The Moon

A Ghost On The Moon Producer

Who the ever loving "INSERT EXPLETIVE HERE" {SUPER DUPER ANGRY EXPLETIVE} Who cares? Do you make good music? Ok then, good make good music. IF your biggest question is hardware over production then you have little to no knowledge and that sucks. DO WHAT SOUNDS GOOD

12. A Ghost On The Moon

A Ghost On The Moon Producer

My pee pee is bigge rthan yours lololoolol0o9l. get trolled newb i think i my choice is best

13. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

Philosophical answer:
    MAC is for Women and nonbinaries
    PC is for Men

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Check out V.I. control forum for more informed answers. It is forum made up of professionals and devs. You will get adult answers there.
    Bye kiddies.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Typical answer from someone who has no clue about what he is talking about...

Explain us how you man do an agregate device on WIndows, us, women would be glad to know how you Windows wizard do ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  16. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I have both (my mac pro is collecting dust nowadays) i like my homebuilt pc much better i dont have to buy a new one every 5 year as it would if i choose to work on a Mac
    I just replace parts on mypc that is almost impossible on mac as there is no second hand market for mac parts where i live
    And buy on e-bay and import from usa cost more than its worth oh and i bet not everything will fit as it does on a pc if i have an ATX case any ATX motherboard will fit.
    I also hate apple for not being backwords compatible and for updating the shitty OS atleast 1-2 times every year.
    Oh and i can hackintosh my PC if i want to but as i said i hate apple OSX.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  17. tun

tun Rock Star

macs are shit
    /thread

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Nigol

Nigol Member

Oh man , you just made me a Shemale, you suck:rofl:

19. Nigol

Nigol Member

It.s for playing videogames for my son,otherwise we have a serious problem

20. lancexx

lancexx Producer

Wrong. The most important thing is building relationships within the existing power structure. If you notice, I never made any OS distinction in my original comment, the implication was that there are unspoken standards and protocols in the social hierarchy of the music industry and especially within the smaller subset of professional engineers and "producers". Feel free to interpret that however you want.

A lot of the benefits are not tangible and I notice windows guys have a strong attachment to having the "best specs" and constantly fetishizing slight increases in performance. More horsepower doesn't mean a car will be faster or more efficient, proper allocation of resources is the name of the game. I notice that windows users who make music have a massive overlap with "pc gamers". I think it speaks volumes on the differences in mentality and the end users perception of their tools. That said I only play 1 videogame, LoL, on my iMac it runs 140fps with all settings on ultra.

Coreaudio. Enough said. But seriously, aggregate audio is top tier.