Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Giuby, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Giuby

Giuby Newbie

Music production is better to buy a Mac laptop? What advantages?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

There is no right answer... It all depends on the individual...

I personally am on WIN 10 Pro using Cubase Pro 10.5 and NI Komplete Ultimate 12. Its an oldish intel 4790k CPU with a gigabyte dh3 motherboard and 16gb RAM... 1 TB SSD drive for system and 2 TB SATA drives for storage plus external HDD for backups.

My laptop is WIN 10 an old intel i7 cpu (dont remember model no.) 8 GB RAM and 1TB SATA Hdd... Works perfectly fine for me... And i use it extensively for remote studio work.

I hate Mac and Apple Inc. with a passion but respect my friends who are on Mac systems. IMHO you get more bang for the buck on PCs, the architecture is flexible and doesn't force you to use only propietary systems.

But, as I said, to each his own. Logic is one of the most popular DAWs and it is exclusive to MACs. So, do some research and see which system excites you more.

4. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

5. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

newbies and generic posts is a newbie thing.
    vaiman you been here since 2011.
    do you police newbie threads for potential validation from your friends, via likes?

anyways, i recommend windows more k'd software

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Why so hostile? Its just a simple question from someone who doesn't know.. Either answer it or ignore it...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  8. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Mac was the only stable thing to use until around 2010 (Windows 7). Now I would argue that Windows is better and even more stable than a Mac. Just look at the nightmare Mac OS Catalina caused.
    So either go for Windows 10 1809 build or 1909 build. Nothing better on the marked right now. Also one more important thing to remember is to buy tried and tested hardware for music production. Good audio interface ASIO drivers is very important on Windows that is why I recommend Presonus Quantum thunderbolt audio interface.
    By the way you should buy a desktop not a laptop. How much money are you willing to spend?

9. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I worked with both ..... no so much different.

Only thing really matters . Windows got better Freeware and more keyed Stuff.

10. Nigol

Nigol Member

Willing? $1000000 Having? zero or less. You having an impressive system running.In 2018 I bought me a 2007 iMac and yesterday I bought me a PC with upgrading potential and I am not shure which DAW I am gonna use on the PC, most important is the latency I don't want. Specially because of recording E drums.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  11. retroboy

retroboy Producer

I use both Mac and Windows.
    Mac's are reliable (I've never had a serious crash in 10+ years on my iMac, lots of bad crashes on PC over the years).
    However I wouldn't choose Apple again for the next studio upgrade just purely down to having to upgrade to friggin' mountain piglet 10.12 or whatever every 2hrs (otherwise my new 2MB reverb plug in will fail to boot up due to my antique OS version).
    I love that with PC it's always just Windows 7/10 for software compatibility.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  12. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Cubase, Ableton, Reaper, Studio One are pretty stable on Windows.
    Yes lateceny is very important if you record live with plugins. That is why I recommended the Quantum which is one of the fastest and stable audio interfaces on earth. One drawback for some is that the Quantum is not standalone it has to go through pc to function.

13. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I have zero interest in likes. Also, my length here has nothing to do with things either.

Posting the same question several times is just basic forum rules/guidelines. And also saves "the newbie" getting the same answer across several threads. Again, just basics.

As I said previous, people spend time answering the question that may have been already answered in 2 other threads. I totally understand someone posting in the wrong section etc. That's a mistake. But starting several threads isn't.

Anyway, as this thread has hit #10 replies with only 5 actual answers so I'll add my thoughts....

Mac is very expensive initial setup costs. But will last many years.
    You should only be looking at this option in my opinion, if you are wanting to use Logic.
    Otherwise, using Windows is more cost effective for initial costs and extras. And sometimes more software from smaller devs.

Neither offer better production solutions. Or software. Or results. That's down to the end user.

The 3rd option is Hackintosh. Again, solely if you want to use Logic as this requires more user setup.

I'll finish with some questions back, as these may help other users steer you in the right direction.
    What is your current music background? Do you have a setup now/gear? And what are your musical tastes i.e. EDM, rock or orchestral?

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hey guys, please, dont jump on your horses ...

Both of you are right: the 2 first threads by
    Giuby are exatkly the same, so I deleted one.

This one is different, he is (naively) asking about PC vs Mac ....

Let's hope each one will be able to give a clear and argued advice, and that this will not end-up in another trench warfare.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

You might be able to achieve the same result on both platforms but in the end, we can sum it up like this:

- Your personal preference for OSX or Windows.
    - Your budget as Mac are way more expensive than Win systems.

Once you are able to answer these two questions you will know what to choose.

And nobody will / should do this at your place.

16. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

I'm not a computer nerd and use a pc (W7) laptop just for internet and watching tv & movies I download. Windows I find is an impenetrable rats nest of control panels and preferences. Because I've never bothered to research to how to fight my way to cleaning up these pc computers I've owned from all the bloatware garbage and the tweaking necessary in order to make my computer be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, I've just put up with it all.

What I mean about walking and chew gum. Anytime i want to copy, create a folder, move stuff to another folder, trash stuff, etc etc etc, windows needs anywhere from 10 sec to even minutes to 'discover items', 'move items' etc....all shit that should happen instantaneously. Computer takes a while to fully boot. It can't even bloody copy a file somewhere and load a flippin website at the same time. It has to apparently focus all its attention to one thing at a time, lol.
    I tried turning startup items off but as far as knowing what stuff I can actually trash or whats necessary for the computer to operate...well good fooking luck with thaaaaat

Been recently going through lots of my gear manuals and stuff lately and many are Mac install... a small paragraph... plug it in. Done! Windows.... 10 pages of setup instructions. ffs.

I do use Macs and have software for all the 'serious' stuff, lol. I'm pretty much all into the Logic universe. However, I do hate what Apple's become at least since Jobs croaked. They've become the Microsoft most everyone have hated in the 80's to early 00's, lol.

Having said all, if I wasn't so invested in the Mac environment I wouldn't hesitate to get a windows machine. The only thing is, I'd only buy one from a company that does all the nerd optimization shit for setting up the computer to run a DAW. But ya know what....no one really should be having to need to be doing that shit in the first place!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  17. fritzm

fritzm Producer

There are pros and cons for both. There is a lot of false information here. Both can be great and BOTH can be affordable.
    The most important question is do you want to use Windows or OSX. People are really testy about this subject, but in the end, they will both get you the same results. Just make music! They are just tools. The red hammer is not any better than the blue one. My 2 cents. Now I'll just get some popcorn.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Been a user of both Mac and Windows systems since the dawn of times, with Windows being my main machine for years now, i can say they are practically equivalent. Except platform specifics like Logic for Mac or Cakewalk/Samplitude/AcidPro for Windows, all cross platform DAWs generally perform about the same in both platforms. Mac can be a bit easier for noobs but its closed ecosystem and sales/peripheral policy demand a deep wallet with no performance benefit for going the Apple way. Most of the times you will find a Windows pc with the same spec as a Mac pc is much cheaper. But really for a newbie few things matter for the start:
    1. Whatever OS you go with, try to learn the basics. It will help you get around and not feel lost. Don't be afraid to make a mistake and you will learn faster. Being perfect taught nobody anything :)
    2. Learn your DAW of choice and bundled plugs as best as you can and try to get yourself acquainted to as many functions as possible. Watch tutorials ONLY after you RTFM and memorize at least your DAW basic essentials.
    3. Shortcuts shortcuts shortcuts. Almost everything that can be done with the mouse, can be done with a key stroke much faster, especially macros, so learn as many shortcuts as you can to speed up your workflow.
    4. Do not, i repeat, do not install all cracked soft you can find for "free" for your machine and OS. You will find yourself overwhelmed very soon. Take it step by step trying to learn everything you have inside out first, then move on to the next 3rd party plug, instrument etc.

I could keep writing till the break of dawn but these will suffice i guess.
    Happy New Year brothers and sisters and :cheers:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I was born a Windows baby.

I adore those IAC drivers on the mac. Also, it has never crashed on me, once.

20. Nigol

Nigol Member

money wise a PC that's the advantage

21. Nigol

Nigol Member

I can't afford a quantum, but I just found something interesting, discrete monitor mixing.little bit off topic I know but thank you.btw you still have to deal with latency but not while your playing so you hear yourself in real time,which is already a big improvement.