MAC to PC...build a new Pro Audio Machine [Help]

Discussion in 'PC' started by monk_mingus, Nov 19, 2016.

1. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

Come on! If I can make a tune with 50 channels and lot super heavy plug ins on a macbook pro from 2013 he can do it with that configuration he just shared. Lets get better not bitter :winker:

This is a great topic cause Im also interested to buy a windows desktop for my studio but cant choose any so far. I need the USB C port for the UAD stuff

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I was just fucking around with him :)
    Its a good setup.Unless he intends to game, that graphic card is overload.
    Also 4k is a pain to work with on a daw if you dont have a really big monitor.
    64GB is enough, though you might get a 2nd pc for more RAM and connect them via VSL PRO or other programs to benefit from even more ram and additional cpu power.
    Its nice to have a lot of RAM so you can have all Kontakt libraries available in template setups in Cubase.

3. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

So what desktop will you buy with a less than 2000 euro budget? and with USB C port? :disco:

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Honestly, if you can wait a little bit more going the AMD ZEN route might be a lot less expensive yet providing the same power as Pentium based desktops.
    First rule though is whatever you build, build it yourself.That way you save a lot of money.
    You ask what kind of computer?Relatively powerful one, if you buy smart.

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Throwing my 2 cents in: If you don't need the latest and greatest nVidia card (at this moment there are no macOS drivers for Pascal chips), you could try a configuration which works with bot macOS and windows, just in case? GTX 970 supports 4K.

Something like this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-skylake-gigabyte-gtx-970-imac-14-2.206173/

6. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

More sticks would cause more traffic to the memory controller.
    It takes more time to retrieve data from 8 sticks than 4.
    So, less modules with bigger capacity is slightly faster.

Regarding OS I am a big fan of win7.
    If you tweak them properly for you can make them really fast. Remember that in win world you can customize everything you don't like. That's both curse and bless at same time.

850 should be fine but 1000w I think would be necessary if you go for the GPU you mentioned.
    Corsair is very good choise.

The GPU is way to much for audio PC however I think in few years we will be able to access their specs for non Graphic usage. Tesla NVidia already allow that and nebula too with GUDA. So might be a good investment. For current needs as you describe them is just too much.

The CPU you mentioned is the best one you can get for that money. Good choise.

About the hydro cooling please do some more extensive research, I ve seen some people struggling with this one.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  7. monk_mingus

monk_mingus Member

Which specific motherboard is that core i7 x99 v2 with Xeon E5v4 support?

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

2 hard drives one SSD and one regular HD.

Install OS on SSD. move your documents and swap to Regular Hard Drive.