Mac or PC, what’s the best platform for PIRATED music software here in 2022?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hauzer, Apr 12, 2022.

?

Mac or PC for pirated music production software in 2022?

1. Mac

15 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. PC

88 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. Hauzer

Hauzer Newbie

Hey guys I’m getting back into music production in a big way after several years abroad for work, but a lot has changed since 2010 when I bought a MacBook Pro to run Ableton/Komplete and a bunch of other pirated VSTs to mess around with!

I have all my instruments ready to go and just need a new computer to plug them all into, so I thought I’d check with you guys to see what the best platform is for pirated music software here in 2022? Also I seem to recall back in 2010 there were good audio subsystem reasons for picking Mac over PC but I can’t remember the details, and Windows/PCs have undoubtedly improved a lot since then anyway.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks much!

3. BigM

BigM Guest

God bless this thread.:welcome:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Inked2022-04-11_162730_LI.jpg Nothing has changed since then.....PC for the 'Win'.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

The first message and immediately trolling.
    Do not vote, do not evolve a fight, write him directly:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2022
  6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

There is more than enough material to do music with both system.
    If quantity is important for you Windows is your choice.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Voted Mac for shits and giggles.

Really tho, how is this a question?

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah, the never-ending question,

actually I've gone lot through threads on this, and I think this is the only valid answer (everything else being just a matter of taste really):

if you can build, configure and maintain a proper PC on your own, find right content without malware, without spamming forums for help and parts lists, then PC,
    if you have no idea what components to choose and need to ask on forums, and don't mind not having some heavier-protected stuff, then Mac, it will save you lots of hassle despite higher entry costs,

:chilling:

ps: arguments like "use both" are just nonsense, it's annoying to keep switching between platforms, believe me...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

The best platform is the one that suits your needs and your budget or lack thereof. It is a means, not an end.

Nevermind the tools at hand, it’s what you do with them. Have fun in the meantime.

10. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

MY recent experience : i built an hackintosh with double NVME for Mac AND PC
    Installing pirated software on Mac side was SO horrible ... i ended up using Win side only.

Using BOTH is pure nonsense because switching makes you LOOSE time.

If you want more choice and straight installs : PC

Mac became horrible for pirated softwares (to me) : I spent more time finding workarounds than making music
    And every OSX update is worse in this domain ...

My second NVME will probably become a Kontakt/samples disk and Primo Cache for HDD

Some ppl will say their experience is good with Mac pirated software, some will spend their time on this forum to fix something ...

You can dual boot Windows on an old Mac Intel, or find someone to build an Intel hackintosh.
    And try like me :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. Hauzer

Hauzer Newbie

Ha no trolling intended, I was just about to hit the buy button on another MBP when I thought “hmm maybe things have changed” and decided to look into it it a bit further - sounds like PC is totally viable and the price is definitely right!

I don’t know anything about PC laptops though so if anyone could point me at either some good models or the right forum to ask questions, I’d certainly appreciate it. :like:

12. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Linux

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Make a List of every tool you need

-Does it exist on
    PC/MAC ?

-most of the time, PC releases are earlier.

- It's easier to upgrade disk space on PC (and If you work with lots of Library its maybe the biggest point )

-Thank to Blue Cat's PatchWork you can still use your old Mac-Book with Logic for virtual patching over your network.

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

it doesn't even matter. If you would even consider switching to PC because of what you can pirate, get one :)

@Polomo, "-most of the time, PC releases are earlier.". This is in no way true, if you mean installation and usage.

- It's easier to upgrade disk space on PC (and If you work with lots of Library its maybe the biggest point )

If you are a heavy Kontakt user and want lots of internal ssd space, this is the biggest point indeed.

And you can always use the second Mac with AudioGridder, if it is worth the time.

15. hippopippo

hippopippo Ultrasonic

there is no competition ... nothing beats the glorious C-64 ! :dj:

16. Hauzer

Hauzer Newbie

No joke this was my first ever music production environment and it was KILLER

17. shankar

shankar Platinum Record

The MAC scene is dead since R2R left it :facepalm:

If you want quantity, go to PC
    But as our friend @Olymoon says so well, there is more than enough to do whatever you want.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

right, but you could have Leonardo Da Vinci himself crack your software. It's still running on Windows. some circumstances even r2r cannot fix. People will still be learning the stuff that is already out for Mac for the next 2 years anyway. What are we missing, E/W? Reason. (some ppl care). Guitar stuff. Falcon? yeah buy a pc. :)

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Lets be honest, we have to buy all the software! We shouldnt pirate anything, as it is full of malware and that stuff ...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. clone

clone Audiosexual

Tough call. Falcon Vs running Windows. I use my nice paid copy a lot, on Mac . And have for the years it took to be released.

21. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I'm sure there'll be a big debate on the answer.
    I've been using Mac since '94... maybe only had 2 or 3 instances of trouble installing 'try before you buy'... software in all that time. All that time. In the past few years... I've also been on PC. Yeah... PC has prolly over twice as many plugs available.
    My main complaint with Mac is always the price of buying one new. $$$. I don't have anything newer than a 2012... but, they all run fine.As far as buying a used mac... those prices are @ what you can build a PC/Hackjobber. That complaint... and the fact that now you can't upgrade parts. No more upping the ram... or hard drive. All stuck to the board! And, after your warranty runs out (3yrs if you shelled out for Apple Care)... if it breaks... they won't fix it.. and them Geniuses don't even recommend someone that can... as they've really cut down on Apple authorized repair centers... I know... I used to work at one. The one thing I do like... is the look of the OS. PC's desktop always makes me feel like I'm in an office getting TPS reports together. Lately though... I do wanna check out a Mac Studio... when, if bought... would prolly be the last computer I'll buy in my lifetime. So... I do wanna be buried with it...

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List