Mac or pc for cracked software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by CharlieCrizzle, Oct 11, 2019.

1. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

I've gotta get my priorities right. I have to get something soon, but I've been on edge trying to get something ASAP when i realize I really need to educate myself better as to make the right choice.. I used windows my whole life until I started producing. Now I've gotten comfortable with mac. I have to get something more powerful, and my options on my budget are much more limited going Mac. I just fear that if I get the powerful pc and then run into a whole new set of problems trying to adjust. I gather that pc requires more tinkering and modification to get things optimal and the last thing I need is any more distractions from actually making music.... Maybe I'm just overwhelmed because I hadn't really considered switching until recently and it feels like a lot to take in. I have known what to look for as far as macs go , and now I might as well be picking pcs out of a hat. I was looking for a 2014-2015 mbp i7 quad core at least 2.6Ghz base 16g ram 512-1tb ssd. I was planning on going as high as $1200 if it seemed like a good deal. With regards to pc, I really don't know what is and what isn't a good deal. I feel like I would be more than set with that Mac build. So now if I go pc do I get some 32g ram build just because it's feasible? Do I really even need 32? Do I really need more than 1tb ssd? Are these rams and ssds actually shit quality and I don't know any better?..... These are the types of questions I'm asking myself. So since I have very little clue of what I should be doing, I'll just ask for advice. What should I be looking for in a used or refurbished laptop between $800—$1000? Specific & complete build recommendations would be epic! I'm having trouble deciding whether to get something super beefy that will have me covered for anything I throw at it or get something comparable to the Mac build that may be newer and have more upgrade options such as type c, firewire, and tb3 inputs. I have found what appear to be some beastly builds but only offer usb 3.0. Hell, for that matter should I even be looking at used or are there machines around $1000 new that would make more sense?!? I 'm capping my budget at 1k because I will have to get an interface for around $200 as well. I don't do any live recording so core audio has been workable for me up til now. I knew that I wasn't very educated as far as computer builds go, but I didn't realize I was this bad. Any help is so appreciated!

2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

One question before i answer your topics, i'm sure will come to your rescue :) Why does it have to be a laptop please? And do you already have one, and if so, what is the config of your current machine?

3. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

I want to learn to perform live sets

4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual