Mac Monterey 12.01

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Dimentagon, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I've installed Mac Monterey 12.01 on my 2020 M1 Mac mini 16/512

Here is what I can confirm as tested as working
      • Reaper 6.4.0
      • Logic Pro 10.7
      • Bitwig 4.1 beta 2
      • Studio One 5.4.1
      • Ableton 11.0.12
      • Audio Grider

• Omnisphere
      • Ozone 9
      • Addictive Drums
      • Addictive Keys
      • Kontakt

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

Same hardware and software. Mac Mini 2020 M1, Monterey 12.0.1

Also running

UVI Portal: Falcon, Keysuite
    EZDrummer, EZBASS
    CFX Concert Grand
    S-Gear
    Amplitube 5
    Luna
    UAD Software v9.14

all without problems.
    Experiencing being able to set at lowest latency settings within Kontakt, Logic etc.
    M1 increased my workflow a lot. I waited for developers to transit over to ARM, and for those who haven't Rosetta 2 does a solid job.
    Just bought a second hand Mac Mini and could not see what the new Macbook Pros would do better for me than the M1 already does.
    Working from a home studio environment having a small and powerful desktop solution makes a lot of sense.
    For the money this is the cheapest, most powerful package available as of now, the upgraded Mac Mini that is just around the corner will be able to deliver even more, but when not editing large video files daily I don't see a real world necessity with anything more powerful yet.
    I am already spending more time on creativity and production with a hassle fee working environment.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Couldn't agree more. I mean updating your OS can be quite dramatic and my M1 experience, aside from a few tweaks here and there has been relatively hassle-free (even with warze). Way better than any upgrades I have had in 30 years as a Mac/PC user.

Moving to Arm has been bliss and increased my workflow 10 fold, especially with my i7 Nuc running Audiogridder providing me with the best of both worlds. Like you, I have spent most of my time on creativity. I tell anyone who will listen to upgrade to ARM and run the latest OS. but hey, people are stuck in x86 land on an old OS for whatever reason, I don't really care I'm only interested in my workflow.

I'm 64 bit all the way and can't see any valid reason to not have my system optimised for operability. The Rosetta bridge has worked well for me while Bitwig and Studio One have gone native.

Most of the arguments I see are ideological and I'm about workflow and productivity. ARM is the best computer I have ever owned in terms of power, reliability, and user experience (so far)

Really looking forward to replacing my 2015 macbook pro with the new M1 macbook in the next year but its not that big a deal for me ATM.

On the video side of things I have
    • Resolve 17.4
    • All the Affinity Suite
    • FCP 10.6
    • Luma 4 & AI
    The beautiful thing is the ability to handle footage from my GH5s camera & Ninja Inferno but the integration across my iPhone 12 promax, Macbook pro, Ipad Pro is just so easy. Apple really has the ecosystem integration completely sorted. I'm selling some camera gear and upgrading my iphone to a 13 as I use the phone extensivly as a video and audio recorder (aside from so many other things)

Look I moved from a really powerful maxed-out Xeon tower with a 5700xt graphic card to the Mac Mini and had a top Android smartphone. For me, this is the best solution because of the ease of intergration and workflow. Windows is a different experience when you don't connect it to the net.

So this is what's working. Studio ONE 5.4.1
    Plugins.png

Check this out, it's really cool and like with Fineus (Billy Eilish) testament to what can be done.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Updating OS is the most dreaded thing for me. Hell, even updating some plugins can make you lose whole evening just fiddling with it to make them work instead of making tunes and just being creative, let alone updating the whole OS.

One should ask oneself: do I really need that? This is working perfectly as it is, so why possibly ruining it? Why wasting time on useless updating that'll possibly ruin your evening and possibly ruin your music making for days?

Just some sane thoughts from a guy who's used at least 20+ OSes to make music since Windows 95.

Atari with Cubase was the best. It would work for days without restarting or crashing. I wonder how many people can say the same these days using W10 or W11, latest Apple MacOS? Hmm.. well my Debian Linux does work and just work, too, for days. No crashing or having to restart with Reaper 6.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  6. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    Quite the nice collection of instruments and plugins running there.
    The video with Miss Spender shows the age old fact that a good idea and talent is all you really need, and with tech evolving like it is now, being able to record and distribute yourself is done without anybody else's help. I see a lot of young people wanting to do this without wanting to learn the trade. In the video she handle's Logic's built in plugins to freshen up her track and showing the potential. I remember people used to hold mp3-recorders with a mic attached in the audience. A lot of my friends of course released their first albums on cassettes etc.
    Some twenty years ago I was able to borrow a hard disc-recorder over a weekend. Think I recorded three tracks and put built in effects on them. This was a little bit before I decided to learn the recording/mixing part myself, but I was fairly surprised by the results and most often a bit disappointed by what others who wanted to record me were able to produce.
    Of course they were far off the sound I was after, but I didn't seem to bother with trying to tekk them either.
    Some people only mix the sound they're familiar with, which is disastrous when it ruins a fairly good song.

Many years later, after first learning to build and fix all kinds of PCs and trying out smart phones and most of the relevant software and apps I realized just how easy it can be when something works without any compromise.

Just yesterday I tested some new Kontakt libraries as I've been asked to make some music for a specific game which is in the making. I only had some vague ideas about what they wanted, and I haven't had the time to listen to the songs they sent me to get me in the right direction.

I opened up an orchestral library, played a Cm-chord, then, to D and so on. It just played itself. The client stopped by earlier today and just lit up when I played it for him. He said it sounded better than he had imagined. To me it's just a fairly simple chord sequence with a tasty melody on top by a solo violin, but of course, it doesn't write itself. On the other hand, with equipment that works, with quality software and a well set up room it feels like I'm painting on an empty canvas which is there, ready, whenever I feel inspired. I feel like a lot of work on the details finally is adding up to what I had hoped for. There's a bucketload of songs ready for recording, but there's no hurry.

The enjoyment of recording the music, making well thought through decisions with how they're composed, and hearing that now, more than ever, they sound like I had envisioned so many years ago. I just didn't know back then that I would learn so much more and even teach myselv to read music and play the piano. (I'm a guitarist to begin with.)

Looking forward to utilizing Apple's Universal Control with Monterey soon. That seems like a really nice feature, especially for musicians.
    It'll make the iPad come in handy when moving around the room. And make turning buttons on plugins fast and convenient.

7. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Did you even bother to read my post?
    Yes
    Do you own Apple Silicon? if you do that would be self evident
    If you don't know why, you probably didn't read or comprehend the post. Your point is mute.
    Yeah I owned 5 Atari's including the flagship falcon 030 with Cubase Audio, Notator, an FDi and an smpt24 slaved to my 2' 16 track 3M machine... then I moved on when they went broke and ceased production.. so what was it better in "the olden days?" ... yawn :dunno:
    This system and OS is by far the most powerful and usefully productive I have ever owned. It replaces my 26 synths and racks and racks of gear plus my old very expensive to run console.
    I love the way technology has gone it has opened up so many more possibilities for creativity.

You're a Linux user.. says everything really... did you come here to brag?

Couldn't agree more.. well so far so Good and I actually think my system is running faster.. I'll test over the next few days. the new Beta 4.1 B2 is definitely running better.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. R&B-Lover

R&B-Lover Noisemaker

Hey Guys does anybody know if I can use my old cracked ilok open ssh Plugins on the new M1 Max Macbook Pro on Monterey?
    To run these Plugins I have to Replace the dylib in the folder /usr/lib/ But I don't know if this is still possible in the New Macbooks with Security T2 Chip on Monterey? Would be great if some one can tell me that. If it's working over Rossetta2 this would be great!