m-audio keystation 88es SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by robbieeparker14, Jun 2, 2016.

1. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

ive had my 88 es since 2012 never has let me down, suddenly yesterday its seems to have stopped working, but in an odd way.

its recognized by the pc turns on and everything but no response from the pc. i did a factory reset on it and it worked for about three secs and did it again worked for about 30 mins, now today its not working at all...pc still acknowledges its there and it still powers on

any thought?

3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Shitty! I had the exact same problem last week, but with a oxygen 49. Literally, I used it the night before with no problems and the very next morning the same problem you're having. I even tried plugging into my second computer, it powers on fine but isn't recognized by my computers at all. I read in the m-audio forums this was a common occurrence for some people, one guy even had three Oxygen 49's stop working in the same manner.

I might try to RMA it still, because i literally have no money and can't replace it outright. Which sucks because i was making headway in my piano lessons but can't practice anymore.

Unfortunately for us, i searched the internet but couldn't find a viable solution other than RMA'ing or buying a replacement.

How did you do a factory reset?

4. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

How did you do a factory reset?[/QUOTE]

power off hold octive - octive + and advance function buttons while powering on

5. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

had the same problem with my maudio axiom

now i use it over midi without any problems, usb for power

must have damaged the usb port..

6. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Oxygen only as usb. And i never touch the side of the cable that plugs into the keyboard, so that seems fairly hard to do under those circumstances. Plus if plugging a cable in then unplugging would cause it break, then wouldn't that qualify as shitty hardware? If it can't handle the rigors of normal everyday usage.

Gives me the impression, that the usb-to-midi firmware inside the machine is the culprit. Beisdes if the usb port itself were broken it wouldn't power on.

7. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

try a new cable or find the driver and delete it, forcing re-installation

8. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

Tryed drivers and cables still nothing

SOLVED! i feel so stupid! after going out and buying the mk2 version of the 88es i of course went to make sure my daw had it in the midi list... well it seems that either the new board being plugged in and "installing itself" fixed the issue with the old board orrrr because i re selected the board in the midi list, both boards seem to be working like a charm now, so i can take my happy self to the store and return the new worry free lol

hey buddy try what i did. reselect the keyboard in the daw. i had to completely take it off the list then readd it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  9. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Thanks for the update. I'll try it right now. Here's a question just for clarity on my part. Do both boards show up in devices and printers option in the control panel?

Edit: No dice. Reason, for example doesn't recognize the keyboard at all which it needs to do to finish setting it up in the options menu. So I think you buying the second keyboard is what got your system to recognize the first one, maybe.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

yup they are showing up there. i think your right about the second keyboard helping the system recognizing the old board. gonna do a check tomorrow as well hopfully the old board still works and i can take the new one back!