M.2 drive not detected by Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by orbitbooster, Jan 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. livemouse

livemouse Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. stopped

stopped Producer

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Thank you for a reply. I'm sorry it skipped my one good cocked eye [joking, I'm just a bit short sighted] you mentioned it, old git grille brain me :mad: lol.

So it is a no-no with Linux, unfortunately, until it gets supported at some point. It still might be that the latest Linux Kernel could support it, but I'm not using Arch [or Slackware?] and living on the cutting age, just keeping things as stable as possible.

I'm actually puzzled that at least Red Hat or CentOS don't support Optane M2s?!?! FFFS! :( I mean those are meant for high end servers and shit. What about Intel's own Clear Linux? I mean it's Intel's shit, eh? It should support their shit. :rofl:I would give it a try. I actually intend to, regardless not having Intel Optane M2, because it looks so really good on paper, well err webpage. :wink:

Read this... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/linux-distro-review-intels-own-clear-linux-os/

Cheers! :cheers: I hope you'll get to use this M2 *Intel Optane* with Linux at some point! Good, very informative links @livemouse! For those who are using M2 drives [hmm flash RAM...] with Linux and I'm thinking of acquiring one myself. Still running good old SSDs and plenty of bad old non-trusty HDDs :wink: :)

p.s. My good old trusty TC StudioKonnekt 48's power supply had been recapped by yours truly and it's working perfectly. I'm a very happy chap now. I give it another 10 years... it'll probably outlive me now. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Here! After all, it's not a matter of life or death.
    You see, I already saw something about SATA Optane mode, see here:
    How to install Linux on an SSD
    But problem is, it's the only one available for this one I'm dealing, can't choose any other, no AHCI.
    Right, and right now, dead end.
    At least, Win10 PE works.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Haha, yes. Well of course not; none of this stuff is unless you do IT for a hospital! Then, maybe :)

But I meant this, of course:

• Kali Linux IRC Channel For those times when you can’t find what you’re looking for in the documentation or forums, you are welcome to join our Kali Linux IRC channel. The Kali IRC channel is #kali-linux, and can be found on irc.oftc.net. Please check our IRC rules before posting.
    You would get an answer to your question, in probably minutes. a "real no" is what it is, but at least you will get your answer. which is what matters anyway :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

According to that 3yo article there were [alpha? beta?] drivers for M2 type flash memory "drives" already. I'd really give Intel's Clear Linux a try if nothing else just out of curiosity. They mentioned something about Intel having Linux drivers for Optaned drives. :wink:

And interestingly, you don't need to change the "drive" to AHCI, just leave it at RAID, but don't forget to disable fast/quick boot and secure boot. I would also try to do it in CSM/legacy mode as well as UEFI. CSM first because then you don't need to create any special 1024KB partitions, according to the good article.

Cheers! :cheers:

7. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Believe me when I say that I tried anything, every possible option in BIOS was tested, no luck.
    We'll see in 1 year, if nothing will be developed about the Optane matter, probably will never be, maybe statistically it's not worth the pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

Is this just not a case of it showing up as an 'unusual' device node, ie /dev/nvme0 instead of /dev/sd? or /dev/hd? I'll admit it threw me for a bit of a loop the first time I installed on an m.2 drive.

edit: technically /dev/nvme0n1 for the drive, because it occupies a 'node', and thus the partitions become /dev/nvme0n1p1 (usually the efi partition), /dev/nvme0n1p2 and so on...

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yeah, irritating. We have sda, sdb, sr0... so why not just nv1, nv2, or maybe nvm1, nvm2? Weird. SSDs show up the same as hard disks when you type lsblk into bash.

10. livemouse

livemouse Producer

i wanted to chime in and add that some older motherboards won't let an m.2 drive be a boot device in linux. (probably other os as well) and it may be a mobo bios problem.